What's new

Is there an app to turn on/off cellular?

mmoy

Reaction score
For some reason, I noticed a fair amount of cellular data usage between 12:00 AM and 1:00 AM even though my phone is at home at that time and WiFi is available. I started turning off the cellular when I get home in the evening and then turn it on again when I leave in the morning. At the moment, I have to go through Settings -> General -> Cellular to get there and it would be nice if there were an App or a Notification Screen widget to turn it on and off.

Anyone know of a shortcut to do this?

The only shortcut to do this is if you have a jail broken iPhone. Then, you could install the free tweak SBSettings, which has a toggle to turn on/off data. But, there is no shortcut on a stock phone. Sorry.

As a side note - although WiFi may be available, when the iPhone goes to sleep, WiFi is turned off. It's a battery saving measure coded by Apple. However, you can get around that (WiFi turning off) if your phone is plugged in when it's asleep. The WiFi will stay active in this case (because it doesn't have to conserve battery). So, maybe plug your phone in at night...?

Marilyn

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about it defaulting to cellular when turned off.

I think that I'll just turn it on and off manually. Hopefully Apple will put in a faster way to toggle Cellular in a future update.