What's new

Is iphone 5 Really Worth It?

PaulS1985

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the new iPhone 5 is really worth all the hype over it? All I know right now is that it has a larger screen. BFD! I upgrade in April and so far I'm opting for the 4S because I haven't heard anything awesome about the 5 so far.

Can anyone tell me if the new iPhone 5 is really worth all the hype over it? All I know right now is that it has a larger screen. BFD! I upgrade in April and so far I'm opting for the 4S because I haven't heard anything awesome about the 5 so far.

At the end of the day, it is your decision, no one can force you to upgrade or not. Why are you asking for advice when your mind is already made up? For me coming from the iPhone 4, it is definitely worth it.

Totally depends on what device you're coming from. However, I agree w/ hookbill.... sounds like you've already made up your mind. I came from the iPhone 4. So, upgrading to the iP5 was a no brainer.

I can think of dozens of reasons why anyone might wish to upgrade to a newer phone. Faster processor. Expanded memory. Better build quality. Larger and better screen. Lighter in weight. Better battery life. Better reception and/or less dropped calls. Superior capabilities (such as Siri). Geez, the list goes on and on.

But only needing to know it's "awesome"? That's a very ambiguous word. Any single one of those improved features I just described could be interpreted as "awesome" depending on just how deplorable your present phone performs. For me - I can tell you that the iPhone 5 is "awesome" (to me) for every one of those details - I'm coming from the original Droid and yes - Apple has supplied me with an "awesome" improvement to that particular phone.

But is it awesome enough to purchase new for your situation? Well, that just depends on whos review you wish to base your opinion of the phone from...

But then again - as the others here have already stated - it appears you already answered your own question. Though I'm one of the "charter" members of these forums - I've only recently become more active as to posting - but I've been reading here for a long, long time. And in the last month I can't tell you how many times I've read posts stating the five is "awesome". Guess you just need to convince yourself.

Buy one. You may just surprise yourself with the "awesome" improvement it may be to your present phone... :)

mike

I haven't quite made up my mind. The only improvements I really know about with the I5 is a larger screen and a longer battery life. I'm the type that likes to know all the pros and cons of new items so that I can make an informed decision when the time comes. A larger screen is nice but not that nice. Battery life is a big plus. I really started this thread because several people that my wife works with got the I5 and replaced the 4S. They all said that, except for the larger screen and battery, they weren't happy enough to deal with the extended contract. Also, I hear that AT&T makes everyone who gets the I5 go to the new limited data plan. Right now I'm grandfathered into the unlimited. So...in my opinion the I5 needs to be a fantastic improvement over the 4S for me to accept these changes. I was just looking for opinions on it. Thanks.

I would suggest you look at review sites and you tube to greater your knowledge on whats under the hood of the iphone 5, and then go have a play with a working demo model in your local high street shop.

I just upgraded from the 4. I have Verizon. I had to sign a 2 year contract, pay a $30 upgrade fee plus loose my unlimited data and go to a 2GB. I only use .5 GB or less a month so I was ok w/ that to a point. The upgrade fee really pissed me off though. This is how Verizon will treat you if that's the carrier you have.

As for the phone, its ok. The bigger screen is great. 4G is nothing to write home about. I find that safari on my 4 w/ ios 6 was just as fast as on my 5. I do like have the 64gb model though. Between apps, photos and music I was over 32gb and now I still have about 30gb of storage left.

I spent weeks trying to find a 64gb 4s and everyone wants $400 or more for it. I had a $100 credit w/ Verizon plus traded my 4 in for $150. It cost me under $300 for the 5 which is the only reason I did it. Now I have to wait 2 years to upgrade again if I want to. I imagine the 5s or whatever Apple calls it won't be much over the 5 based on the 4 to 4s comparison so thats not a big deal.

The speed of the phone, the screen and the 64gb option to me are the best things about it. If you don't need any of these then keep your current phone because the 5 won't be worth it for you.

I haven't quite made up my mind. The only improvements I really know about with the I5 is a larger screen and a longer battery life. I'm the type that likes to know all the pros and cons of new items so that I can make an informed decision when the time comes. A larger screen is nice but not that nice. Battery life is a big plus. I really started this thread because several people that my wife works with got the I5 and replaced the 4S. They all said that, except for the larger screen and battery, they weren't happy enough to deal with the extended contract. Also, I hear that AT&T makes everyone who gets the I5 go to the new limited data plan. Right now I'm grandfathered into the unlimited. So...in my opinion the I5 needs to be a fantastic improvement over the 4S for me to accept these changes. I was just looking for opinions on it. Thanks.

At the end of the day, there is no such thing as a prefect Smartphone, we are individuals, our wants, likes and needs are different, so you will surely meet people who will have something to dislike about anything, but you have to make your own judgement and your own decision. Walk in an Apple Store and have a play with one. But don’t expect to find the perfect one, electronic device keep changing anyway, what is good today might not be that good tomorrow, so enjoy what can afford out there. And don't forget improvements are often incremental.

I upgraded from the 4s because I had an upgrade available for one..... Two, I sold my 4s for $300. So I didn't come outta my pocket for the IP5 or the otterbox. I didn't have to give up my grandfathered plan. So I didn't lose out on anything. I've had the IP5 since launch date and I'm happy with my purchase as I knew I would be. If you have never visited an Apple Store....give it a try! That within itself can be a deal breaker

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't buy that "touch phones" thing for a minute. It seemed dumb. The "3G" and "4G" thing was made up by the phone companies. As I understand it "G" just means "generation." My wife just got a 4S. I played around with the Siri feature for a bit but I wasn't impressed with it. You can't talk to it like they do in the commercials. My wife tried to use Siri to write an email and it screwed the email up several times. She had to do it manually. It doesn't understand proper names at all. The more I'm learning about the 5 the more I think I'll stick to the 4S. Nothing about it seems worth losing my unlimited data plan. I appreciate all the comments.

I upgraded from the 4s because I had an upgrade available for one..... Two, I sold my 4s for $300.

What you sold your 4s for $300? I sold my iPhone 4 for $380. Because the home button of my iPhone 4 became sluggish and as I had the Apple care plan, the phone was replaced by Apple in the last days of August and came with 3-mth warranty.
So when I sold it last week, it had a full month of warranty left and the phone was like brand new.

There will never be a 5s. The 4s was to introduce Siri, that bringing the S and make it 4G capable.

People really shouldn't try to predict what the next model or release date is. Apple, IMHO mixes it up and changes things so that they are "Not what you expect." Everyone thought the 4s was the 5. It wasn't. Everyone thought retina display on iPad was iPad 3. Technically that is incorrect, while it is the the third generation its just the iPad with retina.

lol, I'm laughing at myself because I'm doing the very thing I'm saying not to do. Predicting no 5s. But I don't feel there will be one. Kudos to cuskit for going into the details of difference. Since this is my first iPhone I'm not in a position to do that.

Hi, To say your laughing at yourself is good as I was laughing at your post too.

To say there will NEVER be an iPhone5s is very naive in my opinion, if you look at the history in the last 4 years we had 3g, the 3gs, then 4, then 4s, then 5. You say Apple "Mixes it up" I'd have to go the other way & say Apple are predictable, yeah they may tweek a few spec's but after being in this industry for 10 years I would place a very large amount off my savings on there being an iPhone5s, I would double that bet on Apple releasing around, oh lets say, End of September 2013. Apple are not innovative nor are they unpredictable, Apple are just very very good at making money.

On the actual topic, Why not pop in to any mobile store & play with the current device for 30 minutes, that should help make your mind up

Thanks

I second the idea for going to a store and checking one out. I also am on the verge of picking up a new phone, once my contract ends. Current i am using a 3gs so i think 5 or 4s will be a a huge improvement. Leaning towards the 5 just because its the newer model.