What's new

IS IPHONE 4s IS ILLEGALLY SOLD IN THE UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quentin007

Under trading standards the goods must be fit for their purpose, as advertised - mis- leading or mis-representation is not legal. I refer to several issues but ESPECIALLY SIRI. this feature (SIRI) does not function to a "reasonable" standard and Apple, when spoke to, say "well it's still in Beta testing stage". Beta testing, by it's description is limitless in terms of time and they cannot declare it as upgrading nor improvement when it didn't work at launch. I upgraded from a 4 to the 4s three weeks ago and my 3rd 4s is being swapped-out tomorrow. SIRI will not respond to requests such as ' find the nearest petrol station, hospital, mc Donald's, dentist or in fact ANYTHING it classes as a UK business. It will tell you it can only find businesses in the USA. Game ends here as far as its advertising and legality. Furthermore, you can make an appointment but you can't set a duration. I don't have a regional accent, but it really does struggle to understand phone call from contacts list, if you have multi numbers for one contact it rightly asks you which one, on some numbers / contacts it struggles if I choose "main" it goes round and round, in the end I hang up and dial the number. I ask it to "call my wife" the answer comes back " who's Mike! - the voice belongs to a TV presenter named Jon Briggs, he has a very deep voice, some words or sounds fall outside the range of the internal speakers - a female voice is always better because it's mid-range in the audio spectrum. If you change the voice to female, it looks for an American accent so your stuck with the baritone. I do around 30,000 miles some years depending on the assignment. I get 50-80 emails a day and on a 2-3 hour car journey could take 10 incoming calls. SIRI was the answer to my prayers as I've taken so many risks jotting down notes or using a dictaphone. To be able to handle tasks, remind myself and be reminded was worth double the price. I can make an appt with SIRI but can't tell it the duration, pretty basic stuff. I've been told that NO ONE within Apple knows when SIRI will be fixed or when it will start drip feeding any improvements. What I've also been told is the problem isn't just the UK, Europe and other parts of the world. I read an article today that says the key reason for non-functionality in finding or locating places is that Apple DOES NOT HAVE ANY RELATIONSHIPS set up in the UK to feed SIRI with what we are asking it. Whilst Apple have a history with new product glitches and failures, if they have no partnerships to draw data then they KNEW before the launch it would fail, they didn't do any beta testing over here did they. Your old iPhone 4 case will NOT fit either, the buttons have been moved, the battery life is dreadful, I have approved 3rd party devices such as a blood pressure monitor; the 30 pin adaptor on the phone wouldn't fit so I had to buy a special cable to get this device to work. The last 4s turned up with IOS 5 on it and wouldn't update to 5.0.1. I'm happy to swap to a HTC but all my cases, chargers etc are for the bin. I am SOOOO disappointed. The next time Apple get it right will be the first time.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Do you also know 007 that the use of your phone whilst driving is also illegal. Hands free or not. The term hands free as in your Siri mode can still warrant driving without due care and attention, especially when you're considering using Siri constantly whilst driving for calls, notes, jots etc etc. you're an accident waiting to happen. The use of this will lead to penalty points and a fine, even a ban! So before you go on too much regarding apple and their illegal misguidance on Siri, sit down and ask yourself "Am I altogether legal myself?" when driving and taking up to 10 calls per journey! Siri is for ease of use in the sense of asking it to dial your wife rather than go into contacts find your wife and hit the call button. Siri is NOT designed to be used whilst driving!!!

iHolophyte

Last edited:
If siri is not designed to be used while driving then why is it advertised on their own site doing just that?

I know it's the American ad and that using the phone behind the wheel isn't illegal there. But it IS designed to be used while driving!

Because that is exactly as you state it. For American use. The originator of this post is from the UK this is why in a court of law he wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Yes it is advertised as hands free but the adverts in the UK do not advertise this.

iHolophyte

I'm merely making a valid point into Siri use and you! Gets my goat up when these jumped up on the move sales men have to take every single call whilst driving! For your information I had a good friend killed by a hit and run driver. And you know what the driver wasn't over the limit he was on his phone making a call regarding a sale he had to make! Don't get me started!!!

iHolophyte

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest everyone take a deep breath!

In the USA, each state has different rules for cell phone use. I've not travelled in the UK recently so the regulations there may be different.

Is Siri perfect --- ? not yet Keep in mind Apple covered this by stating it is still BETA!

Mike

So you were wrong. The iPhone 4s is designed to be used while driving.

The point 007 was trying to make is that it doesn't work as advertised. Mine barely works at all.

Let's not turn this into a hit and run hands free argument. Besides. It isn't illegal to use the phone on hands free. So using Siri hands free is no different.

The point of this thread is that Siri isn't working.

I wasn't stating Siri isn't for hands free I was stating the fact Siri isn't used for handsfree in the UK. Siri maybe used handsfree in the states as most things are allowed in the states. Granted Siri doesn't work we all know that. My point was to 007 and the illegality issues regarding apple and the iPhone 4s
Siri is NOT designed to be used whilst driving in the UK is what I should have put. Apologise to the USA amongst us.

iHolophyte

Last edited:
god i get so sick of people knocking iPhone 4s and siri in particular,of course 4s isn't "sold illegally in the uk",millions of us are very happy with our 4s.

Pmsl. In the same vein ivy I find it amusing that people who have a 4s defend it so vigorously.

I have a 4s. I love it. But face facts. Is isn't nearly as good as apple had us believe.

As for the hands free argument. Siri IS designed to be a hands free addition. Whether you are driving or not is irrelevant. You are meant to be able speak a command and it should act upon it.

Mine barely even texts without me giving up and doing it with my hands. I regularly walk around with the earphones in listening to music, then have a message. It reads it fine. But to reply via Siri is a waste of time.

I like the idea of it. I'm sure it will get better. But to release something and advertise it as a PA is a bit far fetched.

Lots of my mates have the iPhone 4 and mine is basically the same with a gimmick that doesn't work.
yes as you say siri will get better in the new year hopefully,i don't rely on it that much,more of something to play about with,no 4s isn't perfect but its good,the one thing i wish it had would be a better app for texting,you can't check when a text was sent to you which is annoying and you can't get a delivery status after sending a text,i miss both of those features.

I suggest everyone take a deep breath!

In the USA, each state has different rules for cell phone use. I've not travelled in the UK recently so the regulations there may be different.

Is Siri perfect --- ? not yet Keep in mind Apple covered this by stating it is still BETA!

Mike

I wasn't stating Siri isn't for hands free I was stating the fact Siri isn't used for handsfree in the UK. Siri maybe used handsfree in the states as most things are allowed in the states. Granted Siri doesn't work we all know that. My point was to 007 and the illegality issues regarding apple and the iPhone 4s
Siri is NOT designed to be used whilst driving in the UK is what I should have put. Apologise to the USA amongst us.

iHolophyte

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I havn't lost anyone to a traffic accident but I've had friends who have.

As for the laws regarding mobile phones whilst driving in the UK. Last I checked, you are allowed to press one button only. For example the answer button when receiving a call. So, if that is still correct there is nothing illegal about using siri whilst driving...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I havn't lost anyone to a traffic accident but I've had friends who have.

As for the laws regarding mobile phones whilst driving in the UK. Last I checked, you are allowed to press one button only. For example the answer button when receiving a call. So, if that is still correct there is nothing illegal about using siri whilst driving...

iGaz thanks for the reply.

This is correct, but the law stipulates you only use it if you have to and for a very short period. That's too say and I quote, "To answer and to let the person on the other end know you are driving and you will ring back when convenient. By allowing this allows the person to answer should it be an emergency call on the other end in which case you should pull over if safe to do so and finish the call. The law does ask you do not take any calls or texts whilst driving where possible and if found to be driving without due care and attention whilst taking the call appropriate action will be taken. This was my point to 007 stated taking up to 10 calls per journey, which I surmise none are short term calls or emergencies but to take sales!

iHolophyte

Only through iMessage normal SMS doesn't give you this option.

iHolophyte
Thats correct,i had this option on my android phone and also every text was date and time stamped,i really miss this and cant understand why apple omit it.

Siri does not work as advertised in the UK. What you do is up to you but by UK law you have a very good case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Siri does not work as advertised in the UK. What you do is up to you but by UK law you have a very good case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wouldnt want to take on apple over this,the way i look at it is,its just a phone,its my first iphone,if in a years time iphone doesnt do the things i want i,l go back to android,simple.......

Last edited:
iGaz thanks for the reply.

This is correct, but the law stipulates you only use it if you have to and for a very short period. That's too say and I quote, "To answer and to let the person on the other end know you are driving and you will ring back when convenient. By allowing this allows the person to answer should it be an emergency call on the other end in which case you should pull over if safe to do so and finish the call. The law does ask you do not take any calls or texts whilst driving where possible and if found to be driving without due care and attention whilst taking the call appropriate action will be taken. This was my point to 007 stated taking up to 10 calls per journey, which I surmise none are short term calls or emergencies but to take sales!

iHolophyte

I didn't know about this law. So if I don't have my hands free turned on I can still answer my phone to let the caller know I'm driving?

From what I understand by your quote it doesn't include the use of hands free. If you are hands free legally you can talk on the phone for as long as you like...

Status
Not open for further replies.