What's new

Is Evi as Good as Siri?

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
4713-evi.JPG

9to5 Mac has a useful story today for all those iOS users out there who don’t have an iPhone 4S and therefore don’t have Siri, but are looking for a suitable alternative. Commenting on an in-depth report on TechCrunch about the app, 9to5 Mac says that Evi could just be the first genuine Siri competitor out there, amidst a ton of apps that would like to think they have what it takes to out-Siri Siri, but in fact don’t even come close. Evi is powered by True Knowledge’s “core semantic search technology”, or The True Knowledge Answer Engine. The iOS version of Evi uses Nuance voice recognition, the same voice recognition software that powers Siri, whereas the Android version does not, which is why the Android version is free and the iOS version costs $0.99. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]9to5 Mac points out that according to Evi’s iTunes page, Evi is able to return data local to the UK as well as the US, the lack of which function has been a bit of a bugbear for UK iPhone 4S users. True Knowledge says that Evi has “almost a billion ‘facts’ (machine understandable bits of knowledge)”, as well as the facility to infer trillions. 9to5 Mac says that Evi uses all the sources that you would expect, such as local Yelp results, other third-party websites, regular web searches, and APIs. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]According to TechCrunch, who ran a lengthy feature on Evi, although the app is not yet able to integrate with Calendar and Reminders, unlike Siri, its answers can be more accurate than Siri. TechCrunch cites answers to questions about how to make an apple pie, for example, among other examples. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Click here to download Evi for $0.99:[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evi/id463296609?mt=8[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] For iOS users without Siri, there is Evi | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Looking at the reviews on the App store its not even close to rivaling Siri,I wont even bother with the .99 cent price tag.

this app so would hardly work in lreland if it has local uk and usa data or would it

Servers are overloaded so the app won't even work. Sad I wasted .99. Sounded promising but I'm disappointed in the over all function of the app.

This app isn't working at all.............

3Q794.png

I already have siri i just wanted to try it out and see if it worked in the UK for finding places unlike siri...... :(

I'm glad i didn't pay for this i would be more than disapointed......

Not being funny or nothing how can you beat Siri with a imitation? Hey it's poor ATM but wait until its out of beta

Not being funny or nothing how can you beat Siri with a imitation? Hey it's poor ATM but wait until its out of beta

Very good point when siri come's out of beta and support UK searching i will be more than happy with siri and her funny ways lol

Are you in the uk? Your Siri a female?

Yes Siri is a female voice of you are using US Siri, a male if you are using UK Siri, a male if you are using France Siri. Over here Siri has a female voice, so a female.

Ilove Siri.. mine is US..By the way is it possible to change it? From female to male? is it a

Moderation Notice:​ This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a male :/ lol

I am from the UK but I just use the USA voice once you teach her what you are saying by changing the words she gets wrong over and over and over again she eventually understands what you are saying lol

iNeoTom

Voice actions is what I use it also uses nuance voice recognition and it work fine in the uk even for local businesses and opens the locations in the map app. One problem with voice actions is if you ask to set a timer or alarm it creates an entry into your calendar.