What's new

Is apple trackin all iphone for safety reason

I don't think that apple is tracking all iPhones specially with the most recent iOS update all tracking by apple algorithm have been remove from it.

bab2010 said:
I don't think that apple is tracking all iPhones specially with the most recent iOS update all tracking by apple algorithm have been remove from it.

Kklkkkkkk thanx fr rply any 1 else

Ok. What do you believe Apple is tracking?

Apple was tracking and saving location data a while back but that was patched in iOS 4.3.3 when the jailbreak community brought it to the attention of mainstream media.

Apple was tracking and saving location data a while back but that was patched in iOS 4.3.3 when the jailbreak community brought it to the attention of mainstream media.

Ah. You read the hype article without digging directly into the code or technology that was being employed. Long story short, Apple wasn't tracking anyone. It was however collecting general position data based on WiFi networks and cell towers in an effort to speed up GPS locating. This is needed because if you do a cold start GPS location in perfect condition it can take as much as 3 minutes even if you are less than 10 miles from your last known location. With the data they collected, they could reduce that time to about 3 seconds outdoors and to about 5 seconds indoor, without a clear view of sky no less. Since the data was technically anonymous, there is no way they could accurately track anyone. Especially since the data stopped being collected the moment you left your last known location by more than 75 miles and didn't stay in one place for more than 12 hours.

Yeah, that whole situation was blown so far out of proportions it wasn't even remotely funny. OH I almost forgot the real kicker. Google's Android is FAR MORE invasive that Apple's geo location data was/is. Apple only upload/updated the data once a day. Android does it when ever it can get away with it, as long as it doesn't impact your data plan too much.

Call it what you want, they were still tracking people and if they didn't think they were in the wrong I don't see why they would have patched it.

People created maps from the tracking data that was collected on their phones so it was pretty clear that they could track you if they wanted. Either way it is an invasion of privacy and I'm glad they did the right thing and patched it.

Last edited:
Jmills87 said:
Call it what you want, they were still tracking people and if they didn't think they were in the wrong I don't see why they would have patched it.

People created maps from the tracking data that was collected on their phones so it was pretty clear that they could track you if they wanted. Either way it is an invasion of privacy and I'm glad they did the right thing and patched it.

Thanx evry1 n dnt fight

I am not calling it what I want. I am telling you the EXACT FACTS involved. You may research this on your own to confirm exactly what I have typed here.

Those idiots, and I don't say that lightly, that broke the original story KNEW they were exaggerating. Go back and read their very first post. It alluded that they felt it was necessary to "skew the data as to not show their exact location". They said that because the data being stored was the exact locations of the cell towers and the ESTIMATED locations of the WiFi hotspots. The data NEVER had their position. Your position is calculated from triangulation of that stored data and it is done in REAL TIME. Those idiots knew that fact and yet they decided to blast Apple anyways by making it LOOK like they were tracking.

Now to address Apples mistakes and for the reason for their patch. The data of the cell towers and WiFi hotspot was supposed to be of a limited nature of around 50 miles of your most normal central location. And the data was dated so it would drop off over time. The bug found was that the dated data wasn't being purged automatically. That was it. BTW, your iPhone is still doing EXACTLY what I have stated. It is at this very second looking at which cell towers you can see and recording them. The only difference today is, that data is getting purged on the original INTENDED schedule finally.

I am not calling it what I want. I am telling you the EXACT FACTS involved. You may research this on your own to confirm exactly what I have typed here.

They were tracking, otherwise they wouldn't remove it if it was just for gps purpose, it's that simple to understand.

They were tracking, otherwise they wouldn't remove it if it was just for gps purpose, it's that simple to understand.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

THEY DID NOT REMOVE IT. In fact when you install iOS 5, the VERY FIRST THING it now asks you is "Do you want to allow Location Service Tracking". Do you know why they had to ask his question????? Because of the amount of pure ignorance concerning the subject matter. They wanted to end all possibilities of a lawsuit because some people JUST DON'T GET IT.

BTW, if you decline, you don't get instant GPS positioning nor indoor location tracking.

Don't worry they're always like this. It's normal. 

Yep! It's the snarky factor! :D Just look past it! There is good information shared, even by the snarkiest... so take that and leave the rest behind! ;)