What's new

Is a replacement phone from the Apple Store locked?

daisymay

Reaction score
The phone supplied by my network was faulty and the Apple Store swapped it out for a new one yesterday. Is this phone locked to my network? I did register it with Apple on my computer and update the software.
Thanks.

Last edited:
OK, but locked to what? The genius didn't ask my network before giving me the phone. At what point was it locked if it's locked and how?

Thanks!

What are you referring to when you say "locked"? Do you mean carrier locked? Currently Apple only has an agreement with AT&T in the US so all replacement phones given out by Apple will be carrier locked to AT&T.

Hi bruceleroy,

No, I'm in the UK and the Apple Store sells unlocked phones. There are four or five phone companies, like Vodafone, who sell locked phones on contract. As my faulty contract phone from what turns out to be a company with really poor network coverage was replaced at the Apple Store I'm wondering if it was somehow locked to my phone company when I connected it to iTunes and updated it of it it's unlocked and I can creep away....somewhere where the calls don't drop all the time. I still have to pay them I just want to be able to use my phone!

Ahh...I see. I would check with the Apple store you received the phone from then. I am only familiar with Apple's US policies.

Sorry.

Could be a tricky conversation...
I'll think about it. Thanks.

I'd thought of that but it's tricky with this micro sim business. I need to find another iPhone 4 user. I might try calling Apple.

Apple will have known what network you were on when you gave them your phone and IMEI number. You would of got one on the same network. Apple aren't going to swap a locked phone for an unlocked one...

but if he got it from the apple store it will be unlocked.... well done uk for selling them unlocked :D im always going to buy my iphone from there..

hey gaz a little off topic but did you see them sweet 100mbit speed tests from vm users in london??? */me drools*

If he got it from there in the first place yes. I don't see how apple would swap you a locked iPhone for an unlocked one.

If they are I'll be giving apple a phone instead of my network and ask for a replacement! Lol

Nope, haven't heard. What speed tests are they...?

If he got it from there in the first place yes. I don't see how apple would swap you a locked iPhone for an unlocked one.

If they are I'll be giving apple a phone instead of my network and ask for a replacement! Lol

Nope, haven't heard. What speed tests are they...?

yeah i agree with you i think they would give him a phone locked to what ever network its locked to.. unless its unlocked from apple...

btw check this out... some speed results - Help & Support Forum

i wish i had those speeeeds :O

I would like to see if they did replace it with an unlocked one. Or if it was unlocked in the first place. Next time I get a fault with my phone I'll give apple a call instead of my carrier. Chance my luck but I highly doubt it.

His upload speeds are faster than my download speeds! Lol. I do just have a standard router from my provider and a 4 year old thinkpad... :(

I would like to see if they did replace it with an unlocked one. Or if it was unlocked in the first place. Next time I get a fault with my phone I'll give apple a call instead of my carrier. Chance my luck but I highly doubt it.

His upload speeds are faster than my download speeds! Lol. I do just have a standard router from my provider and a 4 year old thinkpad... :(

yeah my dl is 8mbit only ... but in feb our isp will offer 12 though i wont get it because i am far from the exchange i will be lucky to see all 8mbit

i would like to see that also! my brother had to replace his iphone but we both got ours factory unlocked from apple... if you could just go to apple and get it sim free. they ask for the broken handset and they send a new one.. that would be sweet if they sent it unlocked.. though you have to pay around 170 for a new handset and if its not broken enough to need a new handset and covered by the apple care protection then obviously you wont get a new one..