What's new

IPod Touch Won't Download Apps

Reaction score
I guess this would be deleted if I posted in iPhone section, so I'll post this here and cross my fingers I get some good information. Even though my touch has many of the same features as the iPhone, and I think the question would apply to both.

Anyway, I have the newest touch. But it will no longer download apps. Not good. I have tons of pictures I want to move to another drive since I apparently will have to erase all data to reset where it will hopefully download apps again. Unless someone here knows something I don't. I don't have a computer, so I would prefer not to deal with iTunes. And I am out of iCloud storage. Is there any chance I can move all my precious pictures efficiently and reliably to another portable drive? I tried copying some yesterday to my flash drive on a public computer, but it look longer than I hoped and there was some unexpected error copying some of them (so I have no idea which pictures didn't copy). I was looking at a different flash drive that plugs directly into the Apple port on my touch. Unfortunately, after reading reviews those drives apparently have to have an extra app to be downloaded. Are there any that don't need an app? Is there any other workaround I could move them all quickly to my other touch or another drive?

Why is it not downloading apps? Have you tried the usual fixes, such as force closing the App Store, restarting or rebooting your device? Is your Wi-Fi reliable? Do you have enough storage space on your iPod (not iCloud)?

I don't know why it won't download apps. I tried clearing all settings. It didn't do any good. I have good WiFi. I have about 30 GB of storage left. How do I force close App Store? I did not know I could do that.

If it works the same as on the iPhone, double tap the Home button and slide the thumbnail towards the top of the screen:
DF0FAA1B-6050-42A8-8A68-42C32FADA996.jpeg

That doesn't do any good. I guess I'm going to have to erase everything. I just need to safely move all my pictures first. If I copy to iTunes do I have to use the same computer to restore them later? Is there a limit how many iTunes will store? Would an Apple specific flash drive be easier? I don't know what else to do.

You don’t save the images to iTunes, you import them to your computer.
There are two or three ways to get this done: via iCloud or Windows Photo Gallery. If you own a Mac, there’s a third option. Here’s how it works:
Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

An Apple specific flash drive doesn’t work without it’s app, as you’ve already noticed. So that’s not an option.

I don't own a computer, so I was hoping to avoid that route. I doubt the public computer I could use would be ideal to save pictures to hard drive. I guess I could go back and copy to my flash drive again and hope there are no more errors. I don't know how to view which pictures are on my iCloud so I know which ones are left out. I can't really afford to risk any missing.

I figured out what was wrong myself with some trial and error. I turned off VPN, and suddenly apps would download again. I didn’t think that would be a tripping point, but apparently it was. I don’t know why Apple Support didn’t suggest that when I called them. And I’m surprised none of the other help sites I searched for didn’t recommend that either. One of the games is taking a long time to download again, but I’ll just have to be patient. Other games download quickly.

However, the older touch won’t disconnect from VPN, so I still need to figure something out there. And it’s so sluggish it’s almost useless. I have a lot of GB still left on it. And restarting it didn’t help. What else could make it so slow?

Anyway, thanks for your help and quick response. For future reference, if anyone has the same problem in the future just tell them to turn off VPN.

I figured out what was wrong myself with some trial and error. I turned off VPN, and suddenly apps would download again. I didn’t think that would be a tripping point, but apparently it was. I don’t know why Apple Support didn’t suggest that when I called them. And I’m surprised none of the other help sites I searched for didn’t recommend that either. One of the games is taking a long time to download again, but I’ll just have to be patient. Other games download quickly.

However, the older touch won’t disconnect from VPN, so I still need to figure something out there. And it’s so sluggish it’s almost useless. I have a lot of GB still left on it. And restarting it didn’t help. What else could make it so slow?

Anyway, thanks for your help and quick response. For future reference, if anyone has the same problem in the future just tell them to turn off VPN.

The reason why this is probably happening is because your vpn is probably registered as being from a different region then your iPod was originally registered in. Yes they are region locked unless you restore them from factory defaults.

The reason why this is probably happening is because your vpn is probably registered as being from a different region then your iPod was originally registered in. Yes they are region locked unless you restore them from factory defaults.
iPods are not region locked. Resetting network settings should help. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Try to back up your iPod touch first and then make a restore for it.
If you have old iTunes backup, just restore the backup to your iPod touch.
My iPad had same problem with your iPod touch and I fixed the problem by restore.

iPods are not region locked. Resetting network settings should help. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Perhaps I should clarify. The device itself isn’t region locked, but the App Store is.

Perhaps I should clarify. The device itself isn’t region locked, but the App Store is.
That’s tied to the country your Apple ID is registered in. It has nothing to do with whether or not you can remove a VPN or a VPN app from an iPod.

I hadn’t changed anything on VPN in a long time, and apps would still download. I often changed locations on it without any problem. The app was available in both countries I had I registered VPN and where I registered the device. I think one of the apps was frowned upon by App Store, and triggered some security setting or something. I kept logging in and out with both iCloud accounts in separate countries. But it didn’t do any good until I turned VPN off. When Apple Support called me back I told them no one there ever suggested that and they need to tell users this in the future. The person I talked to sounded clueless.