What's new

iPhones Frozen by Hackers

This is a bit worrying....Whatever next!

An update on this issue:

"Apple takes security very seriously and iCloud was not compromised during this incident. Impacted users should change their Apple ID password as soon as possible and avoid using the same user name and password for multiple services. Any users who need additional help can contact AppleCare or visit their local Apple Retail Store."

Source: Apple says Australian iOS device attacks not caused by iCloud breach

Thanks for the update Ard, I'm sure members will find that helpful.

You're welcome.

I remember hearing about a recent phishing email, claiming to be from Apple, notifying users that their iCloud accounts had been suspended. The email provided a log in link for users to log into iCloud to resolve the issue, but perhaps the link was to a fake login page. I have a feeling that the hacker in question was able to net some iCloud credentials during this phishing campaign and used those credentials for this attack. This would explain why iCloud itself wasn't compromised.

You're welcome.

I remember hearing about a recent phishing email, claiming to be from Apple, notifying users that their iCloud accounts had been suspended. The email provided a log in link for users to log into iCloud to resolve the issue, but perhaps the link was to a fake login page. I have a feeling that the hacker in question was able to net some iCloud credentials during this phishing campaign and used those credentials for this attack. This would explain why iCloud itself wasn't compromised.
It sounds feasible, Hopefully this will be short lived and no one will be silly enough to actually pay up, To pay up would only show these hackers that this scam works.

It sounds feasible, Hopefully this will be short lived and no one will be silly enough to actually pay up, To pay up would only show these hackers that this scam works.

Excellent point!