What's new

iphone4 stopped working, only dfu mode or plug into itunes mode

Melei

Reaction score
I recently jailbroke, a few days later my phone simply stopped working and only goes into DFU mode. I tried a myriad of recovery methods. I didn't back up my iphone info. I have no idea what to do :( I can only enter DFU mode, nothing else. It doesn't register under tinyumbrella, not that I would know how to use that program anyways. Once while in DFU mode, I manually installed 4.2.1 but during the end when it looks like my iphone is almost finished with recovery it says BLAH BLAH IT UNEXPECTEDLY DOESN'T WORK(10) :(((

If it was me I'd try a restore in iTunes to get the phone back up and running.

If it comes back up you can just JB it again.

Hang out though someone with more experience might be able to help you get it back up and running without losing the stuff that isn't backed up.

PS... you should always, always back up in case something goes wrong.

I tried restoring through itunes as well and still a no-go. I also just tried jailreaking again with limera1n to no avail. It says successful jailbreak but my iphone is still on the " usb to itunes" screen.. thanks for the advice though.

Exactly what happened when you tried the restore? What errors etc. did you get?

the iphone could not be restored. An error occurred.(21)

Dunno if you have tried this, but I just googled that error.

Two people fixed it by doing this...

Step by step for mac users..

1. Go to Disk Utility: you can just type this in spotlight or open Finder, click on Applications, open the Utilities folder, double click Disk Utility

2. Click Macintosh HD

3. Click Repair Disk Permissions: this will take awhile but I didn't have to delete anything from my laptop after this

4. Once permissions have been repaired, unplug iPhone from the laptop.

5. Reboot iTunes.

6. Plug iPhone back and turn it on.

7. Restore and update.

8. Fixed with no loss of files.

You can read the full thread on the Apple forums here...

Apple - Support - Discussions - The iPhone "iPhone" could not be ...

Give that a shot...

tried that as well, now I'm getting the 1013 error at the very end of the "verifying firmware" part..

tried that as well, now I'm getting the 1013 error at the very end of the "verifying firmware" part..

Are you restoring to 4.2.1? It should verify the firmware if your downloading it through iTunes. If your trying to restore to 4.1 then you need SHSH's for that firmware.

When you got the the connect to iTunes page after you tried jailbreaking with limerain I'm assuming you were on 4.1? If so did you try tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery...?

when i kick it out of recovery with tiny umbrella it shows the apple logo for a minute and then goes right back to recovery mode.

and yes im doing 4.2.1, still won't verify through itunes

iTunes should verify it if is its 4.2.1. Are you using the official firmware or have you downloaded it from the internet?

When you were stuck in the recovery loop with tiny umbrella what error were you getting in itunes when you were trying to restore...?

have a look at my reply this morning in the hacking section.

or google how to edit your hosts file. that should get rid of error 1013. tiny umbrella wont kick the phone out of recovery.

assuming your on mac this might help How to edit the hosts file in Mac OS X – Leopard

if on windows 7 look in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc you will need to use notepad in administrater mode, right click notpad, run as administrator. then open the above file.

remove the lines with gs.apple in them and save the file as type: all files

it will allow u to restore from itunes but it will update base band etc.

I've trid using official firmware as well as seperate firmware for 4.2.1 I've downloaded. error 1013. I've tried editing host files, still get the error.

Once you edit the hosts file reboot your computer before trying to restore again. It may take a few restore attempts before it will work...

still nada... feel like this may be a lost cause : (