What's new

iPhone4 status (locked or unlocked)?

skumars25

Reaction score
Friends,

One of my friend willing to give her iPhone4 which was under AT&T.. she told me sometime back its locked but now she says unlocked already.. is there anyway to check whether its locked or unlocked?

Thanks,
Kumar

Insert another carrier's SIM in there and see if it works. Or, you can restore using iTunes, and at the end, you'll get the Congratulations message for unlocking your device. If she unlocked it from AT&T, then ask your friend to show you the email that AT&T sent notifying that the device was officially unlocked.

Looks like the mobile is already restored to factory settings.. but when i go to settings -> general > carrier, it shows AT&T

After restoring with iTunes, there'll be a Congrats message. On the device itself, see if you can choose a carrier after ejecting or without ejecting the SIM.

After restoring with iTunes, there'll be a Congrats message. On the device itself, see if you can choose a carrier after ejecting or without ejecting the SIM.

I have restored the data from from the old phone back-up which i had in my itunes and started the iphone.. i don't have a (micro)sim card to check but iphone started properly and i am able to see all my photo's and data in my new phone..

Does this mean that its already unlocked?

No. Having access to your device without a SIM doesn't make it unlocked. It could've easily been that the previous owner removed the SIM after the phone was activated, so you wouldn't be walled with the activation process. You need a SIM in order to find out if the device is unlocked or not, or as I said a few posts up, you need physical confirmation.

No. Having access to your device without a SIM doesn't make it unlocked. It could've easily been that the previous owner removed the SIM after the phone was activated, so you wouldn't be walled with the activation process. You need a SIM in order to find out if the device is unlocked or not, or as I said a few posts up, you need physical confirmation.

So i have to go via setup a new iPhone without inserting sim in my iphone to see congratulations message?

Btw.. if in case its not unlocked one then what i have to do to unlock my iPhone? Note, i am in India now..

Ok.. i just happen to check with a sim card and it is not working..
Is there anyway i can unlock the iPhone via online? Thanks

We only recommend ApplenBerry here as they're 110% guaranteed and trustworthy. Buying from any other sources is strictly at your own risk.