What's new

iPhone Torch Helps Rescue Team Find Lost Hiker

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
4345-flashlight-rescue.JPG

You can’t go wrong with a good “iPhone saves the day” feel-good story to brighten up a gloomy winter’s day, and this one on TUAW does just that. It’s the tale of Christopher Tkacik from Maryland, who was out talking a walk with his dog, Boo, on New Year’s Eve in Gambrill State Park, near to Catoctin Mountain and managed to get himself lost. After wandering around for quite a few hours, he used his iPhone to summon help, and was told by the rescue team to stay exactly where he was so that they could find him. He then had the brainwave of turning on his iPhone’s flashlight app to make it easier for the rescue team to find him and boo when they flew overhead in their helicopter. It worked like a charm, and Tkacik and Boo made it home in time to celebrate New Year’s Eve.

Source: Lost hiker saved by iPhone flashlight app | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
iPhone Flashlight Helps Lost Mount Airy Hiker Get Rescued

Maura said:
You can’t go wrong with a good “iPhone saves the day” feel-good story to brighten up a gloomy winter’s day, and this one on TUAW does just that. It’s the tale of Christopher Tkacik from Maryland, who was out talking a walk with his dog, Boo, on New Year’s Eve in Gambrill State Park, near to Catoctin Mountain and managed to get himself lost. After wandering around for quite a few hours, he used his iPhone to summon help, and was told by the rescue team to stay exactly where he was so that they could find him. He then had the brainwave of turning on his iPhone’s flashlight app to make it easier for the rescue team to find him and boo when they flew overhead in their helicopter. It worked like a charm, and Tkacik and Boo made it home in time to celebrate New Year’s Eve.

Source: Lost hiker saved by iPhone flashlight app | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
iPhone Flashlight Helps Lost Mount Airy Hiker Get Rescued

I have 3 flashlight apps in my iphone Excellent app for somebody out in dark Good to hear that an app like this helped to get somebody rescued Everybody should have one of them

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

every time i see an article like this it makes me scratch my head...

why didnt he just use the maps application to see where he was and just walk towards the park entrance? He obviously had signal since he was able to call for help...

Garrett said:
every time i see an article like this it makes me scratch my head...

why didnt he just use the maps application to see where he was and just walk towards the park entrance? He obviously had signal since he was able to call for help...

Because people are idiots. Same thing when Toyota had that problem with their cars accelerating on their own. People called 911 instead of stepping on the brake or even turning off the car. Technology has dumbed people down. Big time!