What's new

iPhone Text Messages

minniemouse2023

Reaction score
Hello,

On an iPhone if you want to delete specific messages from a converstation thread, you have to scroll and it keeps loading messages, then you have to select the messages and delete them. It's very time consuming. Is there an alternative way to do this from a computer or edit the actual database file? Potentially, could I backup my phone through iTunes, somehow access the message db, delete all the text messages I want, save it, then restore the iCloud backup to my phone.

Thanks,

Not that I know of. There used to be a "Delete All" in the top left in Messages. They removed it in iOS 16. You have to mark each one separately now. Or delete the contact from the Messages contact list. I wish they'd bring the "Delete All" option back.

You can delete the entire conversation by swiping left from the list of messages. If you want to only eliminate some of the text but not all, start from the bottom, click on edit, scroll up clicking on the circles to the left of each text. Whe you have what you want checked, click on the trash basket picture.