What's new

Miz_Gold

Reaction score
If I buy an iPhone in China, will the set up be different? I have read in various sites about people complaining that their iPhone is in Chinese. I thought you are to choose your language of choice during setup. Another thing is that if I buy this iPhone in China and I set it up using English, will the apps be in English or Chinese? Thank you

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

There are a few differences when you purchase an iPhone in a different country than yours. Some features depend on the carrier, some of them are prevented by the country's laws, and still won't work when you try using them in your country, afaik.

When you set up your new device, you have to select language and country.
You have to use an Apple ID in order to get apps, music, movies, ... App Store and iTunes Store will show apps, ... from the country that's connected to your Apple ID, not from the country where you got it from.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

There are a few differences when you purchase an iPhone in a different country than yours. Some features depend on the carrier, some of them are prevented by the country's laws, and still won't work when you try using them in your country, afaik.

When you set up your new device, you have to select language and country.
You have to use an Apple ID in order to get apps, music, movies, ... App Store and iTunes Store will show apps, ... from the country that's connected to your Apple ID, not from the country where you got it from.
This iPhone is the Sim free version. It's not locked to any carrier.
Also, I have never used an iPhone so I don't have an apple ID. I will create one when I buy it. Will I have the option of choosing the country when creating the apple ID or will it lock automatically to my location?

You will have a choice when setting up of the country and the language.

This iPhone is the Sim free version. It's not locked to any carrier.
Also, I have never used an iPhone so I don't have an apple ID. I will create one when I buy it. Will I have the option of choosing the country when creating the apple ID or will it lock automatically to my location?
You can get a sim free iPhone in any country but localized to the country of purchase are antenna frequencies.

I'm officially confused. What is antenna frequency?
Your cell phone uses frequencies to transmit and receive on wireless networks. There are different frequencies by region. An iPhone purchased in China will have frequencies for that region, the same with the US, etc. find out what frequencies your potential provider may require and make sure the iPhone you purchase will have that. Check here: View countries with supported LTE networks

Your cell phone uses frequencies to transmit and receive on wireless networks. There are different frequencies by region. An iPhone purchased in China will have frequencies for that region, the same with the US, etc. find out what frequencies your potential provider may require and make sure the iPhone you purchase will have that. Check here: View countries with supported LTE networks
So kind of like the model number? If yes, then I guess there is a particular model that supports all? I'm not sure if what I'm saying is even correct.

So you will have to be sure to get the correct model number, each version is iPhone has several models. You can't, for example, purchase just any IPhone 7, there are several models, some work in China, some do not.