What's new

Iphone replacement for Palm

BrianC

Reaction score
Hi,

I've used a Palm for a long time and there's a feature I'd like to duplicate.

When you buy a Palm (possibly not now that they changed the software) you received a CD which you stuck in your PC and loaded the Palm software onto it. Then, when you synced your phone it synced your memos and diary (the two big things I use my phone for). Whichever was the most recent version (you can make changes to your diary and memos on your phone and PC) was what you ended up with on both.

Now, I'd really like to do this with the iphone but despite reading a number of magazines and looking at websites I can't find the equivalent software. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I should mention that I don't have MS Outlook on my PC - this has been suggested as possibility but I'm not keen to buy it given it's rather expensive.

I am exactly in the same boat as you and have been using various Palms since around 1997-98. My Palm M515 still fortunately works, but for how long I do not know. The closest thing I have found for my iPhone is CompanionLink and the DejaOffice iPhone app. See Sync calendar and contacts on Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry - CompanionLink. I have not totally comitted to getting it and moth balling my Palm yet, as there are a couple of minor bugs which I am logging with them. If you happen to come across anything else, please let me know.

Thanks for the info. I'm still astonished that there's no direct replacement for such a simple piece of old technology - load the software into the pc and pda, connect with cable and then sync with one press of a button. A real pity Palm have changed to microshite or I'd just buy another. The iphone is looking like a real mistake (though that's partly becuase I find the virtual keyboard a real pain). Thankfully my Palm is still working - I hate to think how difficult it wil be to find an adequate replacement.

Birna

Just in case you are still around, I would like to let you know I have fully committed to CompanionLink/DejaOffice now as all my major issues since my last post have been addressed. I sync to Palm6.2 desktop on my Vista PC. I have also tested this on a virtual Win8 environment and it works fine as well. One day in the distant future, I may move from the Palm6.2 desktop to something else like Pimlical, or maybe I will never have to.

Ian