What's new

iPhone not recognized - I can't figure it out!

mikerioshbg

Reaction score
Hello all! I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer that would point me in the right direction.

I have an iPhone 4 that works fine. I have a Gateway Fx MS2252 P-7805U laptop operating Windows Vista Home Premium at 64-bit. I used to be able to plug my phone into my computer to sync it, but this past may my laptop caught a virus and crashed... I took it to a mom-and-pop computer repair place and they backed up my info and completely reinstalled all of Windows.

The problem is that now my computer is not working properly with my iPhone. Here are the symptoms:

• I plug in my iPhone and I get three short beeps, and it does not appear under My Computer or iTunes.
  • I uninstalled the Apple Mobile Device Manager driver and then plugged my phone back in so that it would re-install, but the install is always unsuccessful.
  • I plugged my iPhone into a different PC with iTunes and it works properly--so I know the problem is in my own computer.
  • Also, the version of Windows they gave me won't update.
  • I cannot update any of the drivers in Windows--when I try to update any drivers through the Device Manager, it just says that I have the most up-to-date driver.
  • No matter how many times I uninstall/reinstall iTunes, I keep getting an error message saying "The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes." I've uninstalled any other CD burning software on my computer, but that does not solve the problem.

So all I can narrow it down to is perhaps something with the driver or registry. I'd really rather not uninstall/reinstall Windows if it's possible to get around that...

Can anyone offer me some insight? Or point me in the right direction? I would GREATLY appreciate any help! Thank you .

Hmm. I believe it is the driver. Take it back to your mom and pop computer store and show them the issue.

mikerioshbg said:
Hello all! I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer that would point me in the right direction.

I have an iPhone 4 that works fine. I have a Gateway Fx MS2252 P-7805U laptop operating Windows Vista Home Premium at 64-bit. I used to be able to plug my phone into my computer to sync it, but this past may my laptop caught a virus and crashed... I took it to a mom-and-pop computer repair place and they backed up my info and completely reinstalled all of Windows.

The problem is that now my computer is not working properly with my iPhone. Here are the symptoms:

[*]I plug in my iPhone and I get three short beeps, and it does not appear under My Computer or iTunes.
[*]I uninstalled the Apple Mobile Device Manager driver and then plugged my phone back in so that it would re-install, but the install is always unsuccessful.
[*]I plugged my iPhone into a different PC with iTunes and it works properly--so I know the problem is in my own computer.
[*]Also, the version of Windows they gave me won't update.
[*]I cannot update any of the drivers in Windows--when I try to update any drivers through the Device Manager, it just says that I have the most up-to-date driver.
[*]No matter how many times I uninstall/reinstall iTunes, I keep getting an error message saying "The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes." I've uninstalled any other CD burning software on my computer, but that does not solve the problem.

So all I can narrow it down to is perhaps something with the driver or registry. I'd really rather not uninstall/reinstall Windows if it's possible to get around that...

Can anyone offer me some insight? Or point me in the right direction? I would GREATLY appreciate any help! Thank you .

You might try disabling you antivirus this has caused problems also just while your updating your iPhone.