What's new

iPhone not detected, with black screen

shlokpatel

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 3g and i was trying to jailbreak it but with the method where i change the boot file in the ipsw to get me to DFU mode but after that every time i tried installing a custom firmware I kept getting errors. Suddenly after 2-3 tries the iPhone stopped being detected and the iPhone screen was black. The problem is that as my home button is broken I cannot get it out of DFU mode or install the original firmware as it is not detected.

Things I tried :
Try a different computer
Hold the power button for 30 seconds
Restart the computer
Wait overnight to let the battery die out

I don't know whether I should wait longer until the battery dies or do something else. Can you please tell me a way to get my iPhone up and running

I know you said your home button was broke but did you even try to boot out of DFU normally? i.e.: Hold both home & power for 10 seconds, then letting go.

Thank you for your reply but i got to connect, just had to wait for the battery to die. Do you know any method to put the iphone in DFU mode without home button as it is broken from inside, as when i do it with the method where you change the ipsw files it goes to DFU mode but i get error 6000 when i try install the custom firmware. If there is another way can you please tell me.

shlokpatel said:
Thank you for your reply but i got to connect, just had to wait for the battery to die. Do you know any method to put the iphone in DFU mode without home button as it is broken from inside, as when i do it with the method where you change the ipsw files it goes to DFU mode but i get error 6000 when i try install the custom firmware. If there is another way can you please tell me.

There is no way to enter DFU without a home button.

Not that I know of. This happened to my friend last year, he found many guides on getting into DFU mode without the power button, but none of then worked.

Your gonna have to buy new home button most likely. They are cheap, and so is the repair. Even if you pay someone.

You cannot restore to any custom IPSW without entering PWNED DFU mode with iREB.

I got into pwned DFU mode but everytime i tried recovering to a custom firmware i got error 1600, I tried some fixes on youtube but some were too complicated and others told me to use iReb which i had already used and still had no luck. If possible can you tell me a simple fix because i can get into pwned dfu mode with the corrupted firmware trick and then using iReb to enter pwned DFU mode but still i get error 1600.

Have you tried tinyumbrella? I'm under correction when saying you can put your device into dfu mode with it.Does Redsn0w not also have that function? Error 1600 is for not going into dfu correctly.

I tried a tutorial on youtube which used tinyumbrella to get the SHSH dump or something like tha, then he said to change the HOSTS file. After that it worked for him but I still got error 1600.
Video link :

I dont think that tiny umbrella can put the phone in DFU mode, but just recovery mode so still looking for a fix for error 1600.

Last edited by a moderator:
shlokpatel said:
I tried a tutorial on youtube which used tinyumbrella to get the SHSH dump or something like tha, then he said to change the HOSTS file. After that it worked for him but I still got error 1600.
Video link :YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEFqhlD_1ZM

I dont think that tiny umbrella can put the phone in DFU mode, but just recovery mode so still looking for a fix for error 1600.

Never modify your host file. Under no circumstances should this be done. This method is outdated and unnecessary, as Tiny Umbrella will switch to a modified iPSW when you enable the TSS server. So if you modified you would have 2 host files that point to Saurk's server.

You will not be able to restore period if you modify your host file. That was the iOS 4 days.

Download your SHSH with Tiny Umbrella and use iFaith or Sn0wbreeze to stitch those blobs to the iPSW.

You must "ALWAYS" enter PWNED DFU mode with iREB before restoring to a custom iPSW or you will always get a form of 1600 error.

iREB located within Sn0wbreeze and iFaith and can also be downloaded as a standalone application from www.ih8sn0w.com

For that I need a working home button which I dont have so cant do it.

Never modify your host file. Under no circumstances should this be done. This method is outdated and unnecessary, as Tiny Umbrella will switch to a modified iPSW when you enable the TSS server. So if you modified you would have 2 host files that point to Saurk's server.

You will not be able to restore period if you modify your host file. That was the iOS 4 days.

Download your SHSH with Tiny Umbrella and use iFaith or Sn0wbreeze to stitch those blobs to the iPSW.

You must "ALWAYS" enter PWNED DFU mode with iREB before restoring to a custom iPSW or you will always get a form of 1600 error.

iREB located within Sn0wbreeze and iFaith and can also be downloaded as a standalone application from www.ih8sn0w.com
Can you tell me how to stitch blobs to the iPSW

I tried this but i get the error "Sorry, the SHSH file you provided is currently not supported". When i click save shsh on in tiny umbrella i save one from 4.1 and one from 4.2.1 so which one do i choose, i want to update to 4.2.1 and i am on 3.1.3 ?

For that I need a working home button which I dont have so cant do it.

Can you tell me how to stitch blobs to the iPSW

It's easy, in Sn0wbreeze choose iFaith mode which will pint you to select SHSH blobs you downloaded with Tiny Umbreall. iFaith requires you to select SHSH blobs.

The select the iPSW downloaded and saved to your desktop(if you didn;t do that then do it).

However without a working home button you will not be able to enter DFU mode period. It needs to be replaced. Not just the plastic home button, but the connector too. Easy fix to do yourself I guess.

hey. i have exactly the same problem. my home button is also broken. after a failed restoration using itunes, my ipod touch 4g just went black and my computer won't detect it. you said yours worked after your battery drained? how did you get to drain your battery? mine is fully charged before this happened so idk how long will it take. :( please reply.

The method is not outdated. Not sure why everyone keeps saying that. Once you open up Tiny umbrella it automatically edits your hosts file and adds 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com. In order to get a clean restore through iTunes after opening up tiny umbrella you NEED to add a # in front of that line or delete it entirely.