What's new

iPhone no sound issue

bazinga0101

Reaction score
Earlier today I updated my 5c to the new iOS 10.0.2. Then the the speaker was working fine, for example I talked with my friend on FaceTime and I could hear her. After that I opened the podcasts and the music app and the sound suddenly stopped working. Then I tried FaceTime again but this time on earphones, it worked and then the sound from the speaker came back when i removed the earphones. But after a few minutes the speaker stopped working again. I've tried everything, cleaning dust, restarted the phone, the phone is not in silent mode and all the volume and ringer are turned up. I don't know whether it's the updated software or it has something to do with hardware. What can I do to solve this problem?

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:
Start up something that should play sound and increase the volume. See if volume appears to be increasing, or whether headphone volume is increasing. There are several different volume levels on an iPhone, all controlled with the same two buttons.

You need to be sure that you are adjusting the right one.

Do you have a software mute turned on?
Did you ever hear anything from podcasts or music? You post doesn't make that clear.

Start up something that should play sound and increase the volume. See if volume appears to be increasing, or whether headphone volume is increasing. There are several different volume levels on an iPhone, all controlled with the same two buttons.

You need to be sure that you are adjusting the right one.

Do you have a software mute turned on?
Did you ever hear anything from podcasts or music? You post doesn't make that clear.

When my earphones are not plugged in, when i increase the volume from the buttons on the side it just says volume, and when the earphones are plugged in it says headphones. Also I wasn't able to hear anything from the podcast/music app because as soon as I opened the app the speaker stopped working. I made a factory reset half an hour ago and it the sound came back, but after I opened an app (whatsapp messenger) the sound was gone.

Where exactly did you clean dust?
If it was the headphone jack, also clean the charging port, if it was the charging port, clean the headphone jack.

Try force starting your iPhone. To do so, press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. As soon as it appears, let go of both buttons. Your device will power up on it's own. Hopefully this will help with your problem.

Where exactly did you clean dust?
If it was the headphone jack, also clean the charging port, if it was the charging port, clean the headphone jack.

Try force starting your iPhone. To do so, press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. As soon as it appears, let go of both buttons. Your device will power up on it's own. Hopefully this will help with your problem.

I cleaned everywhere, the charging port, the headphone jack and the speaker, and I did restart my phone, I did a factory reset too. Also a while ago the sound came back and then after about an hour stopped working again and I didn't do anything to make it work.

Also I forgot to mention, after the last time my sound stopped working, the phone fell to the ground, so could it be a hardware issue?

That's quite possible, as restoring doesn't help either. If there's an Apple Retail Store near you, take it there, let them take a look at your iPhone. They should be able to tell exactly what's causing your problem.