What's new

iPhone moisture sensor

CarlosJr__

Reaction score
Would the iPhone water sensor be affected by the moisture of the environment in these situations (videos)? :

Tks a lot
C.

Last edited by a moderator:
The videos are basically telling you that although air pressure changes, the ability of the phone does not. Now if he would have dropped the phone in the water, not only would that have been funnier, but also it would have killed the phone! It is a poor video in the sense of the receptacle being another bowl put into a bowl 12" inches in height from the table therefore the receptive pressure would be very very minimal. If he was to stick his hand out of a plane at 20,000 feet then the air pressure would be completely different and would be nice to see if it works then, but we all know that wouldn't happen and in all honesty who cares!

As for the OP no this test will not damage the moisture sensor within the iPhone unless it actually went into the water.

iHolophyte

Ummmm there's a "moisture sensor" in the iPhone??? Am I being naive? What does this sensor tell you at various moisture levels???? I guess I need to get out more!

EWyatt said:
Ummmm there's a "moisture sensor" in the iPhone??? Am I being naive? What does this sensor tell you at various moisture levels???? I guess I need to get out more!

It's just an "I got wet" tattle-tale sticker.

No it's a sensor that tells the phone moisture has got into it and shuts it down until acceptable levels have been found again for the phone to operate. This is found inside the jack port at the top. If you look down it should look silver. It turns a different colour when you drop it in a bath and hopefully by drying it out it'll turn back silver. Can't remember the colour it turns to. Yellow or red I think.

It is not a moisture indicator in the sense of relative humidity, dew-point or atmospheric pressures.

iHolophyte

Thanks for that tidbit of info, Holophyte. Never knew that. Unfortunately, here in the arid plains of SW USA, moisture is not a problem. That's why I didn't know that!! :)

Thanks for that tidbit of info, Holophyte. Never knew that. Unfortunately, here in the arid plains of SW USA, moisture is not a problem. That's why I didn't know that!! :)

(Laughs out loud) you're welcome. Just bare it in mind should you ever go for a splash in the hot arid planes of SW USA 😄

iHolophyte

We've had a LOT of rain in the past week and they are predicting another 5 days of it. At the moment, the humidity is averaging 95% and is as high as 98% some days. Any idea what the chances are of the humidity causing problems with the phone and moisture sensor's??

We've had a LOT of rain in the past week and they are predicting another 5 days of it. At the moment, the humidity is averaging 95% and is as high as 98% some days. Any idea what the chances are of the humidity causing problems with the phone and moisture sensor's??

Zero. It requires immersion.