What's new

iPhone keeps reverting to docking station mode!

hebehemonkey

Reaction score
Sooo, when I am listening to music on my iphone with or without headphones, the music periodically cuts out and the volume bar disappears just like it would if it was connected to an fm transmitter or in docking station mode. I've tried re-installing the software and all of that and I finally went to the apple store, where the guy said that it appeared as if there was a short in the circuitry (mainly because whenever he inserted a brush into the usb dock, the volume bar would flicker on and off as the brush moved). However, I am out of warranty, so I could not get a new phone. Is there some way I could fix this myself. I'm really hoping that there is some software trick that I could use to disable the docking station mode or something, even if this means I'd have to jailbreak my phone. However, if you have ANY ideas (even ones that mean some limited (I'm not an electrical engineer, so it definitely has to be limited) tampering with the hardware) I would love to hear from you. Thanks for any and all help!

As far as disabling the "docking mode".... not really sure if this is possible. Replacing the dock might be your best option here. It's really not a hard process. What model iPhone do you have?

It's an iPhone 4. The apple store said they would fix it for $150, but I'd rather pay the rent.

It's an iPhone 4. The apple store said they would fix it for $150, but I'd rather pay the rent.
I don't blame you for not wanting to pay that... it's a bit ridiculous!! Check out this website... iFixit.com. You can buy the dock part from them w/ a 6 months warranty. Also, they have step-by-step pictoral how-to's.