What's new

Iphone has service but still says it needs Activation

Nimra

Reaction score
Hello guys. I have an iphone 3Gs, iOS 5.1.1, basband 06.15.00
I bought it from someone and it was unlocked and jailbroken. Today I was trying to get the 'push notifications' to work, messing around in cydia. I installed one or two things, one of them being SAM. When they didn't work, I removed them. Them being SAM here. My phone rebooted and since then it's giving me the activation required screen. The service is still there but the screen is there too. What does this mean?

Your iPhone is only software unlocked with ultrasn0w, hence the iPad baseband. I would recommend getting a factory unlock and maybe doing a fresh restore to iOS 5.1.1 if you have the shsh blobs to do so. If not iOS 6 untethered jailbreak should be right around the corner.

To fix the problem on hand though you just need to uninstall SAM and make sure the latest ultrasn0w is installed in cydia.

If you cant bypass the activation screen then just run the jailbreak and check the activate box when it ask if you want to install cydia. You don't need to reinstall cydia, just activate your iPhone through redsn0w.

@tortelliniguy, I thought it was the Deactivate checkbox. o_O

But as covered already, you're on a software unlock, aka UltraSn0w. SAM unlocks only apply for those that took advantage of the 'exploit', if you will, that was exposed a while ago where unlocks were free for a small window before Apple closed the loophole. SAM tickets are required and are obtained when you use that particular unlock, which is termed a SAM unlock. The only way to get a SAM unlock now is if you have the ticket saved, and each ticket is unique to the device it was given to.

Okay, my phone does not have SAM installed. And I did install the latest version of ultrasn0w. The signals are there, I can send and receive messages too. But to do this I have to employ the 'emergency call route'. I dial 911, press the power button till it asks me to cancel. I cancel the call, touch the green bar that says touch to continue to call and after cancelling the call from there, I can use my phone.

That method again, is illegal. Dialing an emergency number for the sake of accessing your phone again for personal use or any use is NOT supported by iPhoneForums nor is it legal worldwide.