What's new

iPhone email VERY laggy

dshiu

Reaction score
hi all,

never really paid attention because it never bothered me but i've recently noticed that my gmail inbox is very slow when i scroll through my messages (setting has always been 50 last message, 2 line preview)

i think it's the preview that's causing the problem because whenever i open up my gmail account on my phone, the phone seems to download preview messages every single time as if it never saves it on the phone (not even temporarily for the 50 msgs that i have), and that process makes it VERY slow

i'm just wondering if this happens to you guys too or just me. my iphone 4 is running on jailbroken 5.0.1

thanks in advance!

I have a 4 S with Gmail. Initially, when I created the account I selected the Gmail tab. The push was slow so I deleted the account and recreated as an Exchange account. Works very very well! Here a link Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help that will step you through the process. Hope this is helpful.
does exchange support push compared to gmail which only uses fetch?

that would be very nice because i came from a blackberry and was spoiled by their email capabilities :p

Yes! I have my Gmail and Exchange set for push without any issues.

I think you can add your Gmail as an Exchange account with it set as the typical Gmail. Just set the mail box to the Exchange account. If you like it then delete the current one.

i managed to fix the lag issue that i started teh thread about by rebooting the device, now it works perfectly.

and i've also learned something new about the different email features on the iphone :) thanks for the help mwhartman!

thank you! btw is exchange 2-way sync'd with my gmail account? if i read/delete something on my phone does it replicate on the actual gmail account as well?

It does and with your calendar as well. I have my iCal, Google calendar synced with my phone. Very nice

sounds great i'm gonna give that a try

thanks a lot, appreciate it

it's a little bit weird, the problem i started this thread asking about sometimes comes back but gets fixed after a reboot. also sometimes when i click into my inbox, it will constantly say "Checking for Mail...", a reboot also fixes that :S

but besides that, the push feature works perfectly and i get my mails instantly :D

is there a way to change the orders of my mailboxes? i have 3 accounts (1 icloud and 2 exchanges) and i would like to put my gmail on top and find no way to do so lol i've even deleted my accounts and re-added them in the order that i want but it's still the same

I'm not the most experienced but I'm guessing the issue may be syncing with iCloud. Have you tried turning off the email section for iCloud?

In settings my email, contacts, calendar shows:

Accounts

iCloud

Exchange

my Gmail exchange

Fetch data Push

Sorry, I forgot to add

I do not believe the order makes a difference