What's new

iPhone (any model) old car stereo compatibility

voodoochild16

Reaction score
Hey all, so I am going to be getting the upcoming iPhone this fall if it is released. I'm just wondering if anyone here has the 4S or the 4 and has no problems with their older aftermarket car stereos that are made for the iPhone?. Or do alot of you have issues with compatibility?. I worry that getting the latest one will have issues with compatibility. Both my car and my gf's car have iPhone compatible stereos.... but I think it may come down to the model of iPhone, though the websites for the manufacturers do not state which models of the iPhones that they are compatible with. Anyways, thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

You mean the stereos with the USB jack? Or are they specifically designed for iPods or iPhones? I don't think I've ever had a stereo like that.. I've had some with an aux jack and USB jack but never used the USB so don't know if anything special woulda happened lol. You can always use the AUX jack if worse comes comes to worse. That's what I do.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone 4

I have a kenwood that's 4 years old or so, made for iPhone/iPod, and works great with my 4s on 5.1.1

You mean the stereos with the USB jack? Or are they specifically designed for iPods or iPhones? I don't think I've ever had a stereo like that.. I've had some with an aux jack and USB jack but never used the USB so don't know if anything special woulda happened lol. You can always use the AUX jack if worse comes comes to worse. That's what I do.

Yeah, anything that has said "Made for iPod/iPhone" on the box, which generally any stereo that says that either has a iPod cable connected to it or a USB port for you to connect your own iPod with it's own cable, I just need as many people with old stereos like those confirming in this thread that they have working ancient iPhone supported stereos with the iPhone 4S or iPhone 4. That will boost my confidence towards getting the iPhone 5, as I already have two older iPhone supported stereos so it would suck to replace them. Thank you for the confirmations so far. My stereos are the: Kenwood KDC-BT945U & PIONEER DEH-P6900UB.

If you have an auxiliary port, it will work with any ipod/iphone/mp3 player...that's what the port is for. I have an older model car without even an axillary port and I can play my music off my iphone with bluetooth. I can't imagine why any stereo in a car would have the need to say "made for an ipod/iphone". You buy a cheap cable and connect and you're ready to go.

The tape adapter is the only way to go:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They also make little transmitter things that dial into a radio station and plug into your iPod/iPhone and play the music over that station. It's kinda cool. I have Bluetooth on my radio... I gotta try that out. Also has a button to answer phone calls and everything on the stereo. Kinda cool for a cheapy stereo that probably came from Walmart lol. Aux works just fine though. What happens when you guys plug your iPhone/iPod into the USB? Does it do anything special or is it the same as plugging it into the Aux? My mom's .08 Ford focus has Sync and has an aux and USB in the factory radio. When you plug in an iPhone/iPod the screen of the device changes to a ford logo and you control the music on your device from the stereo. It's pretty cool because I hate always having to scroll through songs while I'm driving.