What's new

IPhone 8 home button gets stuck. Hard to press

keithm77

Reaction score
So I’ve had my iPhone 8 since April. Everything about the phone is great. Except for one thing. Once in awhile I’ve noticed the home button is harder to press and respond at times. I know it’s a capacitive type button. And doesn’t actually push down. What’s happening is sometimes it responds normally without to much pressure. Other times I have to put extra pressure until it responds. Sometimes hitting it twice accidentally. And it has nothing to do with the home button click settings. It’s actually like if the phone was off and you tried pressing it and it’s hard and nothing happens. Other times it responds easily. I’ve figured out that restarting the phone fixes it for awhile then happens again. I know this also because both my wife and son have iPhone 8 Plus and there home buttons work fine. Any advice or anybody seen this. I rather not get it repaired if there really isn’t anything to wrong. It’s just annoying. Thanks for the replies. If any.

Since your iPhone is still under warranty you should take it to the nearest Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment. They'll do a full diagnostic and if there's a hardware fault it'll be repaired at no cost.

Since your iPhone is still under warranty you should take it to the nearest Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment. They'll do a full diagnostic and if there's a hardware fault it'll be repaired at no cost.

I know. I was thinking about it except I’m sure it will work fine there. And if not I prefer not having my brand new phone open up and repaired. It’s never the same. Especially the water resistance. Unless they trade me for a brand new phone. Lol.

I know. I was thinking about it except I’m sure it will work fine there. And if not I prefer not having my brand new phone open up and repaired. It’s never the same. Especially the water resistance. Unless they trade me for a brand new phone. Lol.
Over the years, I have taken my iPhones to Apple and had them swapped out or repaired. Afterwards, there were never any performance issues although had there been, Apple would have stood behind their product and service.

So I’ve had my iPhone 8 since April. Everything about the phone is great. Except for one thing. Once in awhile I’ve noticed the home button is harder to press and respond at times. I know it’s a capacitive type button. And doesn’t actually push down. What’s happening is sometimes it responds normally without to much pressure. Other times I have to put extra pressure until it responds. Sometimes hitting it twice accidentally. And it has nothing to do with the home button click settings. It’s actually like if the phone was off and you tried pressing it and it’s hard and nothing happens. Other times it responds easily. I’ve figured out that restarting the phone fixes it for awhile then happens again. I know this also because both my wife and son have iPhone 8 Plus and there home buttons work fine. Any advice or anybody seen this. I rather not get it repaired if there really isn’t anything to wrong. It’s just annoying. Thanks for the replies. If any.

If it was me I’d try a full restore and if that still fails return it before the warranty runs out

If it was me I’d try a full restore and if that still fails return it before the warranty runs out

I was hoping after iOS 12 update it would work it’s way out from software update. No go. I just don’t understand why does it work again after restarting the phone. Just like a reset I guess.

Over the years, I have taken my iPhones to Apple and had them swapped out or repaired. Afterwards, there were never any performance issues although had there been, Apple would have stood behind their product and service.

I would hope Apple would just swap it out with a new one rather then trying to take it apart and repairing it. These phones are never the same after that. My only issue is that it’s intermittent. So not all the time. I’m sure it will work fine at Apple. The closest store is 65 miles away.

You could always give the Apple Helpline a ring. They are very helpful and may know about this problem and could advise you anyway.

Your iPhone is still under warranty, I would have it seen to while that still is the case. The greater possibility is that it will only get worse.

I probably will. I just have to take it when I have time. I just hope it does it when it’s there I know they can do a hardware check but 80% of the time it works and the 20% of the time it has a problem. Not sure what they will do

You could always give the Apple Helpline a ring. They are very helpful and may know about this problem and could advise you anyway.

I did call them they haven’t really seen too many issues like that. They thought it was a software problem since when I restart the phone works fine again. I could do a hard reset. I don’t want to set up my phone again. They really can’t tell me if I take it to Apple whether they’ll try to repair the phone or just replace it.