What's new

Iphone 6 plus overnight charging

It is fine to leave charging overnight. The battery will start to trickle charge when it is full, so it has a cut off in effect and cannot overcharge. I have overnight charged all my iPhone's over the years and never experienced any problems at all. Only difference with the iPhone 6 Plus, is that I'm only doing it every other night. Amazing battery life!

Designed for it.

Sent from my beautiful Iphone 6 Plus using Tapatalk.

Just curious, does the same hold true for the iPads?
Thanks in advance.
Extended charging will not harm your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. The built in circuitry will prevent any harm to your device if you leave it plugged in for longer than it takes to fully charge.

It is fine to leave charging overnight. The battery will start to trickle charge when it is full, so it has a cut off in effect and cannot overcharge. I have overnight charged all my iPhone's over the years and never experienced any problems at all. Only difference with the iPhone 6 Plus, is that I'm only doing it every other night. Amazing battery life!

Thanks, good to know this.

Maybe this is a good spot to post this question. I have a 6 plus and normally wait till the battery is below 15 percent before charging it. Today the battery was at 14 percent so I plugged it in and about an hour later I had to go handle a family matter and needed to take the phone with me. It had only charged to 38 percent. Should I wait till it drops down again and charge it or would it be ok to plug it in from where its at now (36 percent) and fully charge it?

Maybe this is a good spot to post this question. I have a 6 plus and normally wait till the battery is below 15 percent before charging it. Today the battery was at 14 percent so I plugged it in and about an hour later I had to go handle a family matter and needed to take the phone with me. It had only charged to 38 percent. Should I wait till it drops down again and charge it or would it be ok to plug it in from where its at now (36 percent) and fully charge it?
You can safely plug your iPhone into the charger at any point in the charge cycle, it won't harm the battery. Apple recommends running the battery down and fully charging it once a month to keep the battery charge meter properly calibrated.

If you read the battery life info from Apple you may want to adjust your charging habits as you keep using your battery to almost a full charge and there are only so many charging cycles in the life of the battery. Depleting it to 15% regularly may not be the best choice if it is not necessary.

New batteries have no memory effect and once they are nearly charged they automatically switch to trickle charge so there is not chance of over charging.

That isn't what I said. Apple states their batteries have a life of I believe it's about 700 full cycles.
replacement-heading-iphone.png

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery.

The point I was making is that if you completely or nearly drain your battery before charging rather that regularly topping it up before it reaches 1/2 charge level or more you are not maximizing how long before your battery has used up 700 full cycles and must be replaced.

I wil let Apple explain it more accurately:
battery-tech-cycles-header.png

Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There’s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging. Apple lithium-ion batteries work in charge cycles. You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your battery’s capacity — but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75% of your battery’s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25% the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100%, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle. The capacity of any type of battery will diminish after a certain amount of recharging. With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle. Apple lithium-ion batteries are designed to hold at least 80% of their original capacity for a high number of charge cycles, which varies depending on the product.