What's new

iPhone 6 doing Live Photos after update

Marie86

Reaction score
Can iPhone 6 take Live Photos after the latest update? Reason I ask is cos my mums mate has iPhone 6 and says her phone has started taking Live Photos since she updated it the 9.1 update. But my cousin who has the 5s says his phone still doesn't do them so I'm thinking it must be limited to the iPhone before the update was added like Live Photos were added for the 6s so the iPhone one before it was 6.

Can iPhone 6 take Live Photos after the latest update? Reason I ask is cos my mums mate has iPhone 6 and says her phone has started taking Live Photos since she updated it the 9.1 update. But my cousin who has the 5s says his phone still doesn't do them so I'm thinking it must be limited to the iPhone before the update was added like Live Photos were added for the 6s so the iPhone one before it was 6.
Live Photos cannot be created on the iPhone 6 or iPhone 5s. Live Photos are limited to the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus as Live Photos require the 3D Touch feature of the latest iPhones to work.

Thanks for reply my mums mate says the latest update 9.1 installed an app on her 6 phone which lets her take Live Photos. Has anyone else with the 6 done this update and got this new app? I will have a look at her phone next time I see her to find out what she's on about

The only app that came with iOS 9.1, was the News app, for the UK.

Live Photos is available on the iPhone 6s and 6s plus, as scifan57 told you before.

There's a tweak for jailbroken iPhones, called "EnableLivePhotos", which helps getting this feature on other iPhones running iOS 9.0.2.

Well saw my mums mate yesterday and had look at her phone and she said it was her husband that told her it did Live Photos. I had a look and as expected it doesn't do them. I think they read the info on new update which mentioned update to Live Photos and guessed the update would add Live Photos. Thanks for the replies I thought it would be strange adding updates to allow older phones to do same as new phones. Apple would be ripping themselves off as there would be no point paying extra to get the 6s if older phones could get updates for Live Photos as it's the main stand out difference between phones.

Well saw my mums mate yesterday and had look at her phone and she said it was her husband that told her it did Live Photos. I had a look and as expected it doesn't do them. I think they read the info on new update which mentioned update to Live Photos and guessed the update would add Live Photos. Thanks for the replies I thought it would be strange adding updates to allow older phones to do same as new phones. Apple would be ripping themselves off as there would be no point paying extra to get the 6s if older phones could get updates for Live Photos as it's the main stand out difference between phones.
There are hardware limitations on older iPhones that mean no older iPhones can take Live Photos.

... Live Photos as it's the main stand out difference between phones.
I don't agree. The iPhone 6s/6s plus has 3D Touch, the 12 MP rear camera, the 5 MP front camera, 4K video, e.g., features that no other iPhone has. Live Photos is not the only stand out difference, and certainly not the main stand out difference.

I I know it's not the only difference but for me it's the best difference. The 12mp and 5mp camera is big step forward from the last few iPhones but there are sites with pictures taken from a 6 and 6s camera exact same photo each time and honestly if you wasn't told which phone had taken each photo you wouldn't know as they look almost identical. Of course if you zoomed in more on them I'd expect the 6s to be at least a bit clearer, but for just taking photos and viewing them without looking closely at detail there isn't a stand out difference. 4K video I haven't actually done any videos yet but I expect that to be same as the photos as if I don't really look at detail there probably won't be a noticeable difference as I've always had clear enough videos with other phones close up. 3D Touch is a good improvement tho because I'm not used to using it I forget about it. I'm not in any way saying the 6s isn't a good phone I've got one and am so glad I picked it rather than the 6. There really isn't much more any phones could do now and it's been like that a while now apart from higher quality photos and videos. So for me I'm glad I've got the first iPhone that does Live Photos. I say first because no doubt every iPhone that is brought out from now will do them and maybe have new things added like being able to edit them and still have them move etc.