What's new

iPhone 5s locked up ~ 80% through software update

wordsmyth

Reaction score
I started the latest patch this evening and phone locked up part way through.

And it's getting hot to the touch.

Holding down the home and of/off button has not caused it to reboot.

Suggestions?

Thank you! I'm part way through the proscribed process.

iTunes flagged "a problem with this iPhone" and did the software restore.

Now I've got a white screen with a black logo, and the status bar almost back to the 80% mark. The article said it could take a hour so I'm headed to breakfast and other chores and will check it after a while, then come back later with an update.

Well ... unfortunately after several hours it seems to be stuck at the same place.

And I can't get past the stalled status bar phase to let the phone trust the computer to restore to before the crash.

Other suggestions?

Okay - I installed the latest rendition of iTunes and did a restore and it gave me the phone back. The latest software was installed in the process. Thanks so much for the feedback.

I do, however, have a new wrinkle in the process. My apps - and it appears, certain data, are not coming back to the phone so I don't understand what's up with that.

When I upgraded and acquired this phone and activated it in the store, my apps and data began showing up almost immediately.

I use iCloud to back up each evening when I charge the phone.

So how do I get my stuff back to the updated device?

Thanks again!

If you only use iCloud for backups, erase it and set it up using your latest backup to iCloud.

To erase it, disable "Find my iPhone", then go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Erase all Content and Settings". When it restarts, select "Restore from backup", sign in to iCloud, select the backup, ...

Thank you.

Before I do this, is there a way for me to log into iCloud and confirm the earlier backups are there?

That's not possible, sorry. I know from my own experience that iCloud saves more than one backup, and you'll be able to choose which one to use for restoring.

If iCloud backed up your device regularly, the backups will be there.

Oookkay. Here's the final on it.

I did the reset as you noted and when I got to iCloud the most recent backup was for Wednesday, 12/9/15. That's kind of weird to me as I am all but ocd about putting the device on power at night so it can back up while I sleep.

At any rate, up to date through Wednesday is entirely acceptable as we are on a light schedule at work due to Christmas and then I was out of town Friday and Saturday at an event where I kept the phone off most of the time.

After I did the restore my apps as personally organized immediately began reappearing. I plugged it in and went back to sleep and by the time I got up for the day (today) it was all back, including some notes that were are on an "on my phone" account. Nothing in those is really personal but I am glad to have them back.

So, other than a few text messages that were sent and received between Wednesday and Saturday I'm pretty sure I've recovered everything that was there. And while I couldn't send anything, I did receive texts on my iPad so nothing is really lost.

One more question: is there a way to move those notes to iCloud?

Thank you again, and all my best for a great Christmas season!

It's possible to copy the notes in the "On my iPhone" part of Notes:
image.png

This is from an iPad, but it works the same on the iPhone.
Then create a new note in your iCloud account's part of Notes. Tap and hold until you find Paste. Tap it.

Make sure the note is saved to iCloud, then you can delete the other one.

In your settings, in Notes, disable "On My iPhone Account", after migrating the notes to iCloud.

Thank you yet again - I should have already known that but was drawing a blank. :rolleyes:

I tried it with a few and it works nicely.

Best to you!