What's new

Iphone 5s goes silent

sjoytu

Reaction score
my iphone 5s (ios 9.3.2) has gone silent automatically. The phone has no sound at all. All settings are ok, mute button is up. But no ring sound, keyboard click sound, even when i play music no sound either. Please tell me what to do?

Welcome to iPhoneForums, sjoytu!

Go to Settings - Ringer and Alerts, drag the slider all the way up, and also make sure "Change with buttons" is enabled. You can also use the slider in Control Center to adjust the volume. Then open an app that has music or sound effects, see if there's a difference now.
Turn off Bluetooth in your settings.
If you still don't hear sound, connect a headset to your iPhone, and try listening again. If you hear sound, remove the headset and clean the headset jack.
Also clean the lightning port with a soft brush that hasn't been used before.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, sjoytu!

Go to Settings - Ringer and Alerts, drag the slider all the way up, and also make sure "Change with buttons" is enabled. You can also use the slider in Control Center to adjust the volume. Then open an app that has music or sound effects, see if there's a difference now.
Turn off Bluetooth in your settings.
If you still don't hear sound, connect a headset to your iPhone, and try listening again. If you hear sound, remove the headset and clean the headset jack.
Also clean the lightning port with a soft brush that hasn't been used before.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your reply.
All slides are up in settings. Headset is working fine. I cleaned both headset jack and lightning port. Still there is no sound.

Have you the symbol of a moon in your top right part of your display ? This show if you have don't disturb activated in settings. Like you see in my picture.

8e526e76e1782eb2b3a64fed689e49a6.png

Sent using Tapatalk

Have you the symbol of a moon in your top right part of your display ? This show if you have don't disturb activated in settings. Like you see in my picture.

8e526e76e1782eb2b3a64fed689e49a6.png

Sent using Tapatalk
No...

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 515
When you change the volume on your iPhone, using the Volume buttons, do you see "Headphones" in the popup on the screen?

Did you reset all settings, as suggested by scifan57?

And here's another suggestion:
Connect your headset to the iPhone, play some music. While it's playing, disconnect the headset. Hopefully you'll have sound afterwards.

Last edited:
This also happens on my 6s plus it works with headphones but no sounds etc without. Once I power off it works once powered back on.
What I have found is that if I press the left or right hand side of the screen at the bottom ie hold between two fingers, say my thumb on the front and finger at the back and put any pressure on it there, then the sounds turn off!!!

I did all reset. But not solved yet :( is it hardware related problem???

That's possible. If there's an Apple Retail Store near you, let them have a look at it. They can tell you what exactly is causing your problem.

As I said the first time I found out that if I pressed the bottom left or right hand side with my thumbs then it came back on. Only happened a couple of times but I make sure now that j don't put pressure on that point ie having it my pocket etc.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, under!

Is you device still under warranty? In that case, the same advice would apply to you. It's unusual that the sound doesn't work when you press a certain spot. I too have an iPhone 6s Plus, but mine works without issues. Visit the next Apple Store.

Please reset the phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk