What's new

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 Drop Test, Is It a Fair Test?

AirPlayit

Reaction score
Maybe many of you have already watched the drop test video between iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3. Seriously I discuss with my friend if this is a fair test, but viewpoints are different:

Me: This is fair because they are always dropped from same height; and the man tests several times to get accurate results.

Friend: No, different material, weight, drop point, and other factors lead to different or inaccurate results.

So, what is your idea after watching this drop test?

Appreciate your comments below which may be helpful on this discussion:)

Here is the drop test video: [video]http://www.youtube.com/user/AndroidAuthority?feature=g-logo-xit[/video]

Last edited:
The video is fair. It's a comparison between 2 different phones, in real world use. It does'nt matter what either is made of or how much it weighs.
You're ever going to drop your 'plastic heavier' phone from lower point than a 'lighter aluminum' phone just because it's going to impact at a faster velocity than a lighter phone. Does'nt work that way, lol.

The end result of the drops may just show that a phone weighing less and made of aluminum instead of plastic would be more durable..., which in this testing is true.

Now, however many times you drop the phones from the same height, the phones will almost always land differently. Sometimes 1 will prove to be more durable overall but that does'nt mean if dropped just right either would'nt break.

You'll never be able to reinact all drops but you can do multiple drops and weigh a decision on end results. In this case, the i5 is deemed more durable. Imo from the video, the iphone would be able to handle more abuse.

If your friend still does'nt feel it's a fair test tell him to do the test himself.
Honestly though, if he really feels that test was'nt fair and is standing by his reasoning of the phones weighing different and made of different materials...., I doubt you'll ever be able to change his mind as that reasoning is ridiculous.

Friend: No, different material, weight, drop point, and other factors lead to different or inaccurate results.
Seriously... ALL the drop points were the same. You're friend is obviously and Android user. Which lead to his/her contradictions of the results. And... the only way weight and material similarities/differences could come into play is if you were doing a drop test of an iPhone 5 against an iPhone 5.

Seriously... ALL the drop points were the same. You're friend is obviously and Android user. Which lead to his/her contradictions of the results. And... the only way weight and material similarities/differences could come into play is if you were doing a drop test of an iPhone 5 against an iPhone 5.

Your guess is right, he is Android user and uses S3...
We told ourselves not to think about standing by the OS we are using, just give an honest idea, which you already saw in my thread.
He sticks with that there is absolutely difference of drop points only if we watch it carefully, the man moved a little bit, and the camera does not focus on this man all the way...
OMG, what can I say?

Last edited:
Exactly... what can you say. Honestly, I wouldn't be chomping at the bit to make accusations of "the drops are different" if the iPhone had fared worse in the drop tests.

The video is fair. It's a comparison between 2 different phones, in real world use. It does'nt matter what either is made of or how much it weighs.
You're ever going to drop your 'plastic heavier' phone from lower point than a 'lighter aluminum' phone just because it's going to impact at a faster velocity than a lighter phone. Does'nt work that way, lol.

The end result of the drops may just show that a phone weighing less and made of aluminum instead of plastic would be more durable..., which in this testing is true.

Now, however many times you drop the phones from the same height, the phones will almost always land differently. Sometimes 1 will prove to be more durable overall but that does'nt mean if dropped just right either would'nt break.

You'll never be able to reinact all drops but you can do multiple drops and weigh a decision on end results. In this case, the i5 is deemed more durable. Imo from the video, the iphone would be able to handle more abuse.

If your friend still does'nt feel it's a fair test tell him to do the test himself.
Honestly though, if he really feels that test was'nt fair and is standing by his reasoning of the phones weighing different and made of different materials...., I doubt you'll ever be able to change his mind as that reasoning is ridiculous.

Thanks for your comment, I also agree to
Now, however many times you drop the phones from the same height, the phones will almost always land differently

We are not going to do the test ourselves as both of us love our phones really bad:)