What's new

iPhone 5 vs iPhone 4 - Should You Upgrade?

Austin Gaming Freak

New Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2012
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
For those who build apps like bar code scanners and camera related apps, with launch of the iPhone 5, for developers improved camera will be welcomed by various genres of apps, from augmented reality to bar-code scanners.
 

Skull One

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
4,431
Reaction score
580
Location
Earth
For those who build apps like bar code scanners and camera related apps, with launch of the iPhone 5, for developers improved camera will be welcomed by various genres of apps, from augmented reality to bar-code scanners.

HUH? Bar code scanners have worked properly since the iPhone 3GS. Augmented reality has NOTHING to do with the camera. It has to do with post image processing.

So it doesn't matter which iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch camera is used. It only has to do with how fast you can analyze the image after it is taken and how fast you can query and retrieve the relevant data from the external source. So the only thing the iPhone 5 brought new to the table is LTE and a new CPU configuration that was hand laid out instead of computer laid out (and yes that makes a HUGE difference in processing power). But sadly, iOS developers can't count on the average user to have an iPhone 5 in their hands for their application. iPhone 5s make up less than 5% of all iOS device sold today. So developers are going to have to rely on good old 3G data speeds to get the job done as well as the A4, A5 and A5X processors that make up 95% of the app buying market. So the iPhone 5 launch has nothing to do with this subject matter.
 

I_Luv_Apple

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
82
Reaction score
7
mahall said:
Like what? All I hear is a little faster and a little bigger!! Which is a big deal to a lot of people!! Think about it!! How important is it to have an app open 1:43 seconds faster? Not very to me!! I want one of two things on the next phone to be wowed! Either wireless charging via(solar) or a battery that is so much more efficient, charging is an afterthought, similar to the IPad!! Perfectly happy with every feature on my 4s-:)

If speed means nothing and new features nothing, why have an iPhone at all? Why not just still to older cheaper models? I do not understand why anyone would try to convince or dampen the spirits of people who are happy with their new iPhone 5s. It's all a matter of preference, and I'm very happy with my iPhone 5!
 

Bula

New Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
556
Reaction score
37
If speed means nothing and new features nothing, why have an iPhone at all? Why not just still to older cheaper models? I do not understand why anyone would try to convince or dampen the spirits of people who are happy with their new iPhone 5s. It's all a matter of preference, and I'm very happy with my iPhone 5!

Exactley...
 

Chris951

Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2011
Messages
625
Reaction score
16
Location
Denver, CO
If speed means nothing and new features nothing, why have an iPhone at all? Why not just still to older cheaper models? I do not understand why anyone would try to convince or dampen the spirits of people who are happy with their new iPhone 5s. It's all a matter of preference, and I'm very happy with my iPhone 5!

Because some of us wouldn't waste all of that money on something that is only slightly better. The iPhone 5 is not very impressive at all. If you like it that's all that matters. But I cannot justify spending so much money on a phone that is a little bigger, a little faster, and a little thinner. There's no "wow" factor about it. It's just a little "better".
 

I_Luv_Apple

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
82
Reaction score
7
Chris951 said:
Because some of us wouldn't waste all of that money on something that is only slightly better. The iPhone 5 is not very impressive at all. If you like it that's all that matters. But I cannot justify spending so much money on a phone that is a little bigger, a little faster, and a little thinner. There's no "wow" factor about it. It's just a little "better".

That's your opinion don't you see that? How can you state I have wasted money when I have a product which I'm more than happy with and does a lot more than you believe. I had the iPhone 4S and all previous models and can honestly state it has the wow factor and is more than a little better. But that's just my opinion as a proud owner of the iPhone 5. I wouldn't dream of forcing my opinion on others even though my belief is your wasting money by sticking with the previous model.
 

davva360

New Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2012
Messages
30
Reaction score
3
mahall said:
Like what? All I hear is a little faster and a little bigger!! Which is a big deal to a lot of people!! Think about it!! How important is it to have an app open 1:43 seconds faster? Not very to me!! I want one of two things on the next phone to be wowed! Either wireless charging via(solar) or a battery that is so much more efficient, charging is an afterthought, similar to the IPad!! Perfectly happy with every feature on my 4s-:)

The only problem with that opinion is you will never get a new phone lol. They are all just incrementally better with each release. I think it depends what you have now. The bigger screen was not a big draw to me but LTE was. I also like that the back is no longer glass and that the phone is a lot faster. If you have a 4S I don't blame you for sticking with that for another year or so. It's a very good phone. I am keeping mine for my girlfriend to use.
 

Chris951

Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2011
Messages
625
Reaction score
16
Location
Denver, CO
That's your opinion don't you see that? How can you state I have wasted money when I have a product which I'm more than happy with and does a lot more than you believe. I had the iPhone 4S and all previous models and can honestly state it has the wow factor and is more than a little better. But that's just my opinion as a proud owner of the iPhone 5. I wouldn't dream of forcing my opinion on others even though my belief is your wasting money by sticking with the previous model.

Like I said, if you like it that's all that matters. But I personally wouldn't spend all that money on something that is only slightly "better".
 

mahall

New Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2011
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
I still have not heard or seen enough to upgrade from 4s to a 5!! From what I can gather, most people are upgrading for trend and style! I mean God forbid we be caught with such a prehistoric dinosaur as the 4s!! I just upgraded from a 4 to the proven 4s allowing myself 30 days to get into the 5. Similar to when the 4 came out, there is clearly some issues with the 5 that I will allow my trendy, over zealous IPhone5 owners suffer through!
 

I_Luv_Apple

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
82
Reaction score
7
mahall said:
I still have not heard or seen enough to upgrade from 4s to a 5!! From what I can gather, most people are upgrading for trend and style! I mean God forbid we be caught with such a prehistoric dinosaur as the 4s!! I just upgraded from a 4 to the proven 4s allowing myself 30 days to get into the 5. Similar to when the 4 came out, there is clearly some issues with the 5 that I will allow my trendy, over zealous IPhone5 owners suffer through!

If this was a car or a tv..No one would question ones desire to purchased latest model. I actually think its quite sad that there is this attitude of "sour grapes". There's been issues with every model which has always been resolved! I much prefer my iPhone 5 to the 4s and nothing anyone says will change that. I think it's rather narrow minded and obnoxious to think that people who have purchased the iPhone 5 have done so to follow trends and style.
 

mahall

New Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2011
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
I_Luv_Apple said:
If this was a car or a tv..No one would question ones desire to purchased latest model. I actually think its quite sad that there is this attitude of "sour grapes". There's been issues with every model which has always been resolved! I much prefer my iPhone 5 to the 4s and nothing anyone says will change that. I think it's rather narrow minded and obnoxious to think that people who have purchased the iPhone 5 have done so to follow trends and style.

Of course you prefer the 5!! And it's not personal!! But you know there is plenty that try to keep up with the Jones's!! By the way, I hear Apple might have to recall some of the 5's. so before you burry that old dinosaur "4s" you better read up on the recall!! And for me, I just have to hear the word recall for me to think twice!! Sure glade I didn't feel like I had to be the first to get something I would have to send back in a month! They would have made me feel real foolish!!
 

Thomasjtsi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
7,523
Reaction score
451
Location
Missouri, USA
Of course you prefer the 5!! And it's not personal!! But you know there is plenty that try to keep up with the Jones's!! By the way, I hear Apple might have to recall some of the 5's. so before you burry that old dinosaur "4s" you better read up on the recall!! And for me, I just have to hear the word recall for me to think twice!! Sure glade I didn't feel like I had to be the first to get something I would have to send back in a month! They would have made me feel real foolish!!
Posts like this baffle me. Have we forgotten that this is an iPhone Help, Appreciation & Fan forum?!? Especially members who've been here for going on a year. No offense towards anyone... because everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just find it hard to accept that some members sole purpouse here is to bring down other individuals who are truly happy w/ decisions they've made to have the iPhone 5, 4S, 4... or whatever.
 

Crxx

Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2012
Messages
89
Reaction score
3
Location
tennessee
I went from the 4S to the 5 a d I'm very happy with my purchase. My 4S was in mint condition and I sold it for $300. It paid for itself for the 9 months that I had it as well as paying for the 5. Even if I had to come outta pocket for the 5, I would still be happy with the purchase.... And that alone made it worth it to me.... Let alone the features of the 5. So I say yes it was worth the upgrade.
 

davva360

New Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2012
Messages
30
Reaction score
3
Agree. Sold mine for as much as the new one cost me so its a no brainer. But if you have a 4S its still a great phone.

Killer features for me were LTE and being able to keep my unlimited plan. The screen was next followed by the speed improvements. Speed is important when you take as many pictures as me.
 

Most reactions

Top