What's new

Iphone 5 Unlock from att, Need advice/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

billy9855

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the forum and also the iphone. I have read different stuff and now ver confused so maybe someone here can help me out and answer.

I have AT@t ib the usa for service and am upgrading to the iphone 5, under contract. So the phone will be locked to att.
When I get the phone, can I unlock it for using it on different service provides in other countries when I travel? ATT said they wont unlock it.

So, upon getting the new iphone 5, can I do this without ruining the phone so it will work with my current service with aandt and then with other providers out of the country.
If so, can someone point me to a guide so I may see if it is something I think I may be able to do.

Thanks for any info and sorry if its a repeated question but I have read yes, no and at this point confused.

The AT&T iPhone can actually be unlocked (in most cases) by a simple restore using iTunes. As for an alternative source of unlocking, you can buy an IMEI unlock for anywhere from $5 to $30 in the US depending on where you get them. The recommended source is ApplenBerry, but eBay and other sites work as well (use at your own caution, make sure you do your homework on the sellers first). Try the iTunes method first. To find out whether or not it's unlocked, after the restore, it should say "Congratulations" I believe. I don't have an AT&T at hand to try out, but my Verizon one is already factory unlocked even though it's tied to Verizon.

Thanks for the response. When you say in most cases, is this for certain models. Is there something I can check on the phone before getting it.
The deciding factor on the phone i get will be if i can unlock it for international travel.
thanks again

If you Arron AT&T you will get it unlocked only after you speak with them and they unlock it. Then you can plug it into iTunes and get the congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked. I would give them a call first.

If you Arron AT&T you will get it unlocked only after you speak with them and they unlock it. Then you can plug it into iTunes and get the congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked. I would give them a call first.

No. For the AT&T iPhone 5's, all you have to do is restore using iTunes and your iPhone will be unlocked. There are some cases where this method doesn't work, but I've only seen one so far out of the 600 or so iPhone 5's that I had to deal with when the company ordered a batch of iPhone 5's to replace the 4 and 4S that we were using. It might just be the black sheep of the flock. AT&T/GSM iPhone 5's will be unlocked after a simple restore on iTunes, Verizon/CDMA iPhone 5's are already unlocked with or without a restore.

I asked my at@t rep and they told me no, they Wont unlock it untill after the end of the contract. So im stuck not being able to activate it on a different carrier outside the usa?

Buy an IMEI unlock for $5-15 dollars easily online. It doesn't void your contract nor does it breach your agreement.

Well I haven't heard it yet. What I believe is that you need AT&T to unlock it and then you plug it in on iTunes. If is that so ill restore my phone when I get home to verify that.

The first batch of iPhone 5s were unlockable using that method. As far as I know, AT&T hasn't enforced the idea of keeping it locked AFAIK

How can I know which batch mine was?

I will have to update my phone to 6.0.2 and if jailbreak cames out for 6.0.1, I will be losing that.

If you saved your blobs you wouldn't have to upgrade to iOS 6.0.1. Always save your blobs using TinyUmbrella and apps like it.

No. For the AT&T iPhone 5's, all you have to do is restore using iTunes and your iPhone will be unlocked. .
Going to get the phone next few days. Tried finding info on doing this but was really sure on if correct. Ones I see are for off contract. Any chance you can point me to a step by step so I dont screw nothing up.

Also if I have to buy IMEI unlock where is a place you suggest.

Thanks and sorry for the newbie questions. the help is appreciated.

doing this will make be able to use it on other carriers out of country correct?

Last edited:
iPhoneForum pretty much only supports ApplenBerry as your unlocking source. You can get it off of some other sites or off of eBay but you'll have to do your own research on whether or not the sellers are legit or not. ApplenBerry is a 110% guarantee. If it doesn't work, they'll reimburse your cost. IMEI unlocks are simple. Provide your IMEI number and such to the seller, and they'll add you to the global whitelist. The process takes anywhere from 2 seconds to 2 days depending on how often the lists refreshes, but average would be a few hours to a day.

I asked my at@t rep and they told me no, they Wont unlock it untill after the end of the contract. So im stuck not being able to activate it on a different carrier outside the usa?
You can use Unlock Service provided by Online vendors.
Visit ***Moderation Notice*** to get Remote Unlock Service and Unlock your iPhone easily at affordable cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.