What's new

iPhone 5 To Have 4-Inch Screen?

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
41aecd67.png

Digitimes is reporting that Apple is testing new iPhones that have a 4-inch display. Even with the most current iPhone 4, Apple is falling behind in the smartphone market size-wise, with only having a 3.5-inch screen. Most Android devices currently have a 4-inch or larger screen which still fit well in your pocket and give you a great looking display.*

"The component suppliers noted that the production lines for Apple's next generation iPhone have begun testing, and Apple is interesting in expanding the screen size to 4-inches to support the tablet PC market as the vendor only has a 9.7-inch iPad in the market."

Do we really need a larger screen? 3.5-inches is pretty big and we have the beautiful Retina Display to go with it. Which more and more reading going on with iOS a 4-inch display sounds about perfect. That little extra can make a big difference, the iPhone screen is a big too slim to read The Daily on, iBooks is okay, but it feels like your reading out of a pocket dictionary.

So what do you all think, should the iPhone 5 get a bigger screen? Or will size and mobility be an issue?

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110214PD225.html

Maybe half an inch won't hurt. I think the iPhone is big enough already. A 5-6 inch screen is too big for a phone...

Ideally I'd want a bigger screen on the same size device but obviously that can't happen. I'm afraid it's going to get too big. My brother has a Droid X and my woman got an Evo, both with the 4.3" screens. I feel like they are a bit too big to fit comfortably in a regular pants pocket. Maybe if the iPhone keeps up it's ultra slimness it will be ok, we'll have to wait and see.

4" is not too bad....Droid X is ridiculous looking. If they can make it thinner while making it a little bigger it could be ok...I personally think its pretty perfect as it is.

my iphone 4 is big enough, the sexiest, lightest and not needing upgrades
the iphone isnt small... its the competition that got obesely bigger LOL
Example: evo 4 is a beast that barely goes into pocket and with plastic parts!

The Evo and the Droid X look kind of ridiculous. I have a Fascinate and if the iPhone had a screen that size that would be okay. But I do think there's such a thing as too big.

I believe 4" is the perfect size for a phone display, the 3.5" is just too small by today's standards. It used to be large when it was competing with WM and BB devices with keyboards, but now with the 4"+ screens of the Droid's, the iPhone looks incredibly small.

i'm very happy with the 3.5 screen....bigger wouldn't be better