What's new

iPhone 5 mic problems?

combatwombat

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I recently bought an iPhone 5 and love it! Today I noticed that my Shazam wasn't working so I tried downloading Soundhound (another music recognition app) in order to test to see if it was Shazam or my mic. Soundhound wasn't working either, next I tried Voice Memos. Voice memos weren't working either, nothing was recording and I was sure that I recieved a defective unit. Then I tried Siri which, oddly enough, works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks.

LOL. I wonder if the new 3 mic system is doing a noise cancellation against the background music you are trying to listen to????

If that is happening, that is a FANTASTIC noise canceling system.

I don't think so... Shazam was recently updated for iPhone 5 and it's job is to detect music so I don't think it's being cancelled. Update, I tried using my earpod mic and it worked fine.

So either you have a bad iPhone or my theory is valid because your secondary test shows the app does work.

We need another iPhone 5 user to test this!

So I found out that I can call people but only on speakerphone, they can't hear me if it's not on speakerphone. I think this one is a hardware problem, I'm going to bring it to the Apple store Sunday and see what they can do about it.

I concur. That is something Apple will want to see.

Hi guys, sorry to raise this thread from the dead but I'm currently experiencing the exact same issue mentioned above, I can make calls but the other person can only hear me using speakerphone, siri registers my voice, but voice memo wont. Since this is a fairly old thread now has anyone come up with a common cause of the fault?

Pete

I had this problem with my iPhone 5 and the only solution was to replace the mic.

Thanks Parana, I'll do that, is it the lower one between the charger and the earphone jack??

That was my problem. It started failing from time to time and then the mic was gone in a week. No ring, no music and no voice memos. The fix was free since I had apple care.