What's new

iPhone 5 jailbreak question

ccohen6410

Reaction score
I have a question. Have an iphone5 running iOS 6.0.1. With a potential jailbreak coming soon should I stay on 6.0.1 or upgrade to most current iOS 6.0.2? thanks

The upcoming jailbreak will focus on iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and 6.1, being that 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 are simply hotfixes of iOS 6.0. Whether or not the upcoming jailbreak will include 6.1 is unsure since the only hint we've been given is "iOS 6"

Last edited:
So should I upgrade to 6.0.2? If the job is for 6.1 I can just upgrade to that when it comes out. Still don't know if I should stay on 6.1

Stay on 6.0.1 and see what happens when it's released. Make sure you save your blobs

Can i still save my 6.0.1 blobs with tiny umbrella now even though apple is no longer signing it? I never saved them when 6.0.1 first came out

I meant for 6.0.2 in the case that the jailbreak is only effective for 6.0.2 or if you want to downgrade if anything in the future. As always, blobs cannot be saved once the signing for that particular iOS has ended unfortunately.

Update: Stay on iOS 6.0.1 for now. According to a post by Planetbeing, we should be staying away from iOS 6.1 until it's jailbroken, meaning the jailbreak is only designated for iOS 6.0, 6.0.1 and 6.0.2.

Last edited:
Would it make sense to upgrade to 6.0.2 so that I would be able to save my blobs? I never saved my 6.0.1 blobs so can never downgrade if i need to. If i upgrade to 6.0.2 now, I will be able to save my blobs since Apple still signing and be able to downgrade if i ever need to. I just didn't want to upgrade to 6.0.2 and then not be able to jailbreak if one comes out and is available only for 6.0.1. Thanks for everyone's help

Saving blobs is an entirely separate process from the iOS you are running on an iDevice. You do not need to be on a specific iOS to save the SHSH blobs for it - the only requirement to save a blob is that Apple is [still] signing it.

You do not have to upgrade to an active iOS to save blobs.

Marilyn

You can save your blobs now. Use TinyUmbrella or RedSn0w to do so. This can be done even if the iOS is not installed on your device at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

How do i save blobs for 6.0.2 using TinyUmbrella on a mac when I am not even running 6.0.2 (currently running 6.0.1)? Thanks.

Use RedSn0w. Go to Extras > SHSH blobs > New. Point it to a copy of the iOS 6.0.2 IPSW for the iPhone 5. Then you can choose to upload it to Cydia's server for safekeeping (even though you're not jailbroken) or you can store it locally on your Mac.

The signing window for iOS 6.0.X has already been closed, if you haven't got your blobs, it's too late.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

I'm confused so iphone5 with 6.0+ does not have a jailbreak available yet? You all just want to know what software incase it does?