What's new

iPhone 5/iOS 6 default activation language - please help!

Eric C.

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm going to get my new iPhone 5 tomorrow; I've already seen the device, held it in my hands, there's an irrelevant issue because of which I'll only get it tomorrow; but there's one thing that just blew me away; here's my question: when I turned on the device, I saw the first screen of the activation process, just as always; when I slid it across to go to the pick of the language, I was shocked: the default selected language was CHINESE!!! I mean, that's really unusual, everything I've seen and touched before had English and Spanish as the default languages - it was like "English", and "Espanol" beneath; now, the seller says the device was manufactured to be sold in Europe, but that still doesn't clear up my confusion - what does Europe have to do with Chinese anyway???

I'm really frustrated now; please, guys, tell me if you've seen that before, and if it's ok, because I'm beginning to suspect I'm being traded off a fake one...

Hello guys,

I'm going to get my new iPhone 5 tomorrow; I've already seen the device, held it in my hands, there's an irrelevant issue because of which I'll only get it tomorrow; but there's one thing that just blew me away; here's my question: when I turned on the device, I saw the first screen of the activation process, just as always; when I slid it across to go to the pick of the language, I was shocked: the default selected language was CHINESE!!! I mean, that's really unusual, everything I've seen and touched before had English and Spanish as the default languages - it was like "English", and "Espanol" beneath; now, the seller says the device was manufactured to be sold in Europe, but that still doesn't clear up my confusion - what does Europe have to do with Chinese anyway???

I'm really frustrated now; please, guys, tell me if you've seen that before, and if it's ok, because I'm beginning to suspect I'm being traded off a fake one...
are you buying this phone from a reputable source?

are you buying this phone from a reputable source?

That's a bit of a problem, unfortunately I'm not sure if I can trust the source... If I were buying it from an Apple Store, I wouldn't have asked this question here in the first place (no offense guys); basically, I have two large options - it may be either a true iPhone, or some piece of ****; now, if it's a true iPhone, what are the steps that I have to go through to completely ensure that? I think of checking its serial number on the web (I know a few sites), trying to use AppStore, connecting it to iTunes and seeing what it says;

Now I have these 2 questions:

1. Are those steps enough to tell that's a true iPhone?
&
2. If it's a true iPhone, what could've caused that weird default language issue to come up, are there different versions of iOS for the same devices out there or something?

That's a bit of a problem, unfortunately I'm not sure if I can trust the source... If I were buying it from an Apple Store, I wouldn't have asked this question here in the first place (no offense guys); basically, I have two large options - it may be either a true iPhone, or some piece of ****; now, if it's a true iPhone, what are the steps that I have to go through to completely ensure that? I think of checking its serial number on the web (I know a few sites), trying to use AppStore, connecting it to iTunes and seeing what it says;

Now I have these 2 questions:

1. Are those steps enough to tell that's a true iPhone?
&
2. If it's a true iPhone, what could've caused that weird default language issue to come up, are there different versions of iOS for the same devices out there or something?

connect to itunes to make sure its a real iphone and it will come up with the make/model..etc