What's new

iPhone 5 from usa - living in GREECE

polaxgr

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! i need some advice fast! I got a friend in US that just bought me an iPhone 5 from apple store ( at&t ) the A1428 model . They told her that the phone is locked and she can unlock it online at the at&t site (? is there a link for that ? ) . SO i cant use it here in Greece ? What should i do ? Tell her to unlock it there in the US ? or tell her to get an A1429 model ? THANKS a lot every1 in advance!

They sell them factory unlocked in Ellada?

Doing a quick search and I found this...

While Verizon sells Apple's next-generation smartphone at full price already unlocked out of the box, that is apparently not the case with AT&T. Normally, AT&T customers who opt to pay the full $649 price instead of agreeing to a two-year contract for a subsidized iPhone must follow a lengthy process to get handset unlocked.
Those AT&T customers must fill out a Web form, send a fax to AT&T, and wait as long as a week for word on whether it will allow the device to be unlocked.
However, it now appears that unsubsidized AT&T iPhones ship unlocked and that off-contract customers can save a lot of hassle and time by simply restoring the device in iTunes.
This little bypass was first reported by Tech Crunch, which says it confirmed the process with AT&T technical support and successfully reset an iPhone 5 with a T-Mobile SIM card, getting the usual unlock message: "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked."
iPhone users can confirm the unlock by swapping in another GSM-compatible SIM card, Tech Crunch's Romain Dillet explained:

AT&T's off-contract iPhone 5 can be unlocked with an easy reset | Apple - CNET News

They sell them factory unlocked in Ellada?

Doing a quick search and I found this...

While Verizon sells Apple's next-generation smartphone at full price already unlocked out of the box, that is apparently not the case with AT&T. Normally, AT&T customers who opt to pay the full $649 price instead of agreeing to a two-year contract for a subsidized iPhone must follow a lengthy process to get handset unlocked.
Those AT&T customers must fill out a Web form, send a fax to AT&T, and wait as long as a week for word on whether it will allow the device to be unlocked.
However, it now appears that unsubsidized AT&T iPhones ship unlocked and that off-contract customers can save a lot of hassle and time by simply restoring the device in iTunes.
This little bypass was first reported by Tech Crunch, which says it confirmed the process with AT&T technical support and successfully reset an iPhone 5 with a T-Mobile SIM card, getting the usual unlock message: "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked."
iPhone users can confirm the unlock by swapping in another GSM-compatible SIM card, Tech Crunch's Romain Dillet explained:

AT&T's off-contract iPhone 5 can be unlocked with an easy reset | Apple - CNET News

thanks a lot! The iphone is still sealed located in the US (i am in greece) , so it has a SIM-guide from AT&T ? So i tell my friend to open it and restore it in iTUNES ? or can i do it here in Greece? I know its a difficult question..Many thanks!

It says to restore with the AT&T sim in it so its not clear if ou need to do with with an AT&T sim or if you can just take it to Greece and put in a Greek SIM card it it will unlock.. It might be worth doing it in the states just to be safe, unless some one else here can confirm.

its all a little bit confusing . Should i just tell my friend to give it back and get an A1429 instead? That will ok to use in Greece? Whats my best move? :/

Just restore it out of the box. As far as I know, the SIM being inserted doesn't affect it.

Yes. My company had both AT&T and Verizon. We've been on a restore rampage in the office with the 5s from AT&T to help the company save money on unlocks.

Plus it saves me time and energy from having to contact my eBay regular to buy IMEIs

Last edited: