What's new

iPhone 4S unlock UK -> China

gazillionear

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I initially bought my iphone with O2 in the UK. I then got it unlocked by O2 and am using it currently with Vodafone.

I recently moved to Beijing, China and was planning on using my iPhone over here. Due to it being unlocked I thought this wouldn't be a problem.

After trying to use a Chinese SIM on a new contract the iPhone gave an on-screen message basically saying that the phone was locked.

I've thought about this and I remembered that before I moved here I had to restore my iPhone in order to download an in-app extra (I had forgotten my restriction passcode and so this was the only way). After the restoration I used my saved backup to bring the iPhone to the state it was in before the restore, though I now had purchased those in-app extras.

So I guess my questions are: did the restore re-lock my iphone? If so, will it be possible to just get O2 to re-unlock it for me? Is Vodafone able to do this or does it have to be through O2? I doubt there is any way I can use a back-up file to re-unlock it, is there?

Thanks in advance for your help!