What's new

iPhone 4S reviews

p3unit32

Reaction score
This forum is for tomorrow, please post your experiences like: sound and call quality, antenna strength, 3G download speeds, Siri etc. All wireless Carriers included, your input will be value, and thanks in advance!

The first thing I have to do tomorrow, after it arrives, is take it straight to Apple so I can get AppleCare+ activated for it. I wasn't allowed to buy it thru VZW when I pre-ordered.

Skull One said:
The first thing I have to do tomorrow, after it arrives, is take it straight to Apple so I can get AppleCare+ activated for it. I wasn't allowed to buy it thru VZW when I pre-ordered.

I surely look forward to your comments. You always give thorough analysis of various subjects dealing with information technology.

Everyone remember when you receive your iPhone 4S, write in this forum and let me know how it is. Tell me everything, Skull I expect a details analysis from you lol.

For reviews on iPhone insurance go to http://www.ensquared.com/iPhone_Insurance_Reviews

Last edited:

Why wouldnt they let you I wonder? I bought Apple care for my 4S when I pre-ordered on Saturday. Thats weird they didnt let you.

Ok. I have it in my hands. With about 30 minutes of playing with it I have come to one very strong conclusion.

THEY GOT IT RIGHT.

First the stats: iPhone 4S - CMDA - 32GB.

To have some fun, I used my LAST wireless backup from last night to restore my iPhone thru USB. Mainly to see what would happen but also because the backup was before Zynga messed up "Hanging with Friends" and I wanted that backup instead of this afternoons. I got an exact image of the iPhone and the game now worked properly. Go wireless BACKUPS!

Now the first thing I did while waiting for the restore to happen, was to actually USE it. I wanted to see if the dual core could handle the restore in background while I did things in foreground. Since I have done enough backup/restore testing under the iOS 5 Betas, I knew exactly how the iPhone 4 would respond under this condition. Not only did the iPhone 4 do the restore faster, but everything I tried ran at the same speed as if nothing was going on. That means I saw the dual core not only in action but showing it was well worth the upgrade.

Once the restore was finished, my daughter and I tested over a dozen games. Hers and my iPhone 4 VS the new iPhone 4S. It wasn't even a contest. On small games, sub 20 megs, they were a lot of very close ties. But the second we got into the 100 meg games, then the 4S truly showed its speed. Most games were ready to play two full seconds before either iPhone 4 could reach the same point. And the rendering, while looking exactly the same, showed some definite FPS (frames per second) gains. It seems smoother. Refined. Fast.

Then we played with signal strength. I know exactly how to hold an iPhone 4 to kill the antenna. So to make everything even, I needed a control. My daughters iPhone 4 was in its case. The test subjects where my old iPhone 4 now naked and my new iPhone 4S. They were all placed on a counter top and allowed to rest for 2 minutes test what the signal strength settled at. And to make matters worse for the test I used a place in my house that only had 3 bars to begin with. All 3 phones had 3 bars. I then held each phone the same way resting in the same position on the counter. Thumb at the bottom left corner and middle finger at the bottom right corner. 60 seconds in to the control test nothing changed. The iPhone 4 with a case was immune to the "death grip". Now for the naked iPhone 4. At 30 seconds, it loses one bar. At 70 seconds it loses another. Only one bar left. Tt makes it to two minutes without a change. Now for the final test. The naked iPhone 4S. WILL. IT. DO. BETTER?

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!!

30 seconds.....

It loses one bar.

70 seconds.....

Still at two bars.

2 minutes.....

Still at two bars.

My daughter and I repeated the test twice. With exactly the same results. I can and will certify that this iPhone has a BETTER antenna design than the iPhone 4.

Now of course I am going to have to test this at a parking lot next to a tower where I get a perfect 5 bars, but that will have to wait for another time.

I think the best way I can describe the iPhone 4S is this; it is a mini iPad 2 with very nice cell phone built in.

I have to go do a family outing/dinner in about 10 minutes. I will be back later tonight around 10 PM to answer any questions that aren't already answered by other iPhone 4S owners.

Last edited:
wicked said:
^ Good review Skull.

Hey wicked, welcome to the forum. Never thought I'd see you here, check'n out the comments on the 4S huh?

Skull One said:
Ok. I have it in my hands. With about 30 minutes of playing with it I have come to one very strong conclusion.

THEY GOT IT RIGHT.

First the stats: iPhone 4S - CMDA - 32GB.

To have some fun, I used my LAST wireless backup from last night to restore my iPhone thru USB. Mainly to see what would happen but also because the backup was before Zynga messed up "Hanging with Friends" and I wanted that backup instead of this afternoons. I got an exact image of the iPhone and the game now worked properly. Go wireless BACKUPS!

Now the first thing I did while waiting for the restore to happen, was to actually USE it. I wanted to see if the dual core could handle the restore in background while I did things in foreground. Since I have done enough backup/restore testing under the iOS 5 Betas, I knew exactly how the iPhone 4 would respond under this condition. Not only did the iPhone 4 do the restore faster, but everything I tried ran at the same speed as if nothing was going on. That means I saw the dual core not only in action but showing it was well worth the upgrade.

Once the restore was finished, my daughter and I tested over a dozen games. Hers and my iPhone 4 VS the new iPhone 4S. It wasn't even a contest. On small games, sub 20 megs, they were a lot of very close ties. But the second we got into the 100 meg games, then the 4S truly showed its speed. Most games were ready to play two full seconds before either iPhone 4 could reach the same point. And the rendering, while looking exactly the same, showed some definite FPS (frames per second) gains. It seems smoother. Refined. Fast.

Then we played with signal strength. I know exactly how to hold an iPhone 4 to kill the antenna. So to make everything even, I needed a control. My daughters iPhone 4 was in its case. The test subjects where my old iPhone 4 now naked and my new iPhone 4S. They were all placed on a counter top and allowed to rest for 2 minutes test what the signal strength settled at. And to make matters worse for the test I used a place in my house that only had 3 bars to begin with. All 3 phones had 3 bars. I then held each phone the same way resting in the same position on the counter. Thumb at the bottom left corner and middle finger at the bottom right corner. 60 seconds in to the control test nothing changed. The iPhone 4 with a case was immune to the "death grip". Now for the naked iPhone 4. At 30 seconds, it loses one bar. At 70 seconds it loses another. Only one bar left. Tt makes it to two minutes without a change. Now for the final test. The naked iPhone 4S. WILL. IT. DO. BETTER?

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!!

30 seconds.....

It loses one bar.

70 seconds.....

Still at two bars.

2 minutes.....

Still at two bars.

My daughter and I repeated the test twice. With exactly the same results. I can and will certify that this iPhone has a BETTER antenna design than the iPhone 4.

Now of course I am going to have to test this at a parking lot next to a tower where I get a perfect 5 bars, but that will have to wait for another time.

I think the best way I can describe the iPhone 4S is this; it is a mini iPad 2 with very nice cell phone built in.

I have to go do a family outing/dinner in about 10 minutes. I will be back later tonight around 10 PM to answer any questions that aren't already answered by other iPhone 4S owners.

Wicked said it, nice test. Something's I wanted to here was covered in your post. However CDMA and GSM versions have different antenna configurations. I wonder how that will affect the AT&T version?