What's new

Iphone 4s or iphone 5

kfoshee335

Reaction score
I'm finally getting a new iphone but not sure which is the better one to buy. I currently have the 3GS

Same response here: the iPhone 5, unless you can wait for the 5S later this year....

The 5S won't have much of a difference compared to the 5. Maybe more RAM? Better camera, that's all. The processor might be slightly faster in that it might be 1.5GHz compared to the 1.3GHz from the 5, which isn't ground breaking. The difference between the 4S and 5 was worth the upgrade for many. Double the RAM, about 1.5x faster in terms of processor, and the 5's processor overclocks itself, meaning you get the most out of your processor without doing anything.

The 5S won't have much of a difference compared to the 5. Maybe more RAM? Better camera, that's all. The processor might be slightly faster in that it might be 1.5GHz compared to the 1.3GHz from the 5, which isn't ground breaking. The difference between the 4S and 5 was worth the upgrade for many. Double the RAM, about 1.5x faster in terms of processor, and the 5's processor overclocks itself, meaning you get the most out of your processor without doing anything.

I think iPhone 5 is all about battery & LTE speed boast...
As you said not much of a biggi... Doesn't attract me...

The 5 hands down. You get more bang for your buck & the processor is what your paying 4. The 5S is a little faster but not by much like they said. All & all the 5 is the bomb but if u can wait 4 the 5S do it then.

On the other hand a new iPhone 5 will come with

iOS 6.1.4 which is not jailbreakable however you

May find an iPhone 4S on Craigslist with a

Jailbreakable iOS.

The 5 hands down. You get more bang for your buck & the processor is what your paying 4. The 5S is a little faster but not by much like they said. All & all the 5 is the bomb but if u can wait 4 the 5S do it then.

Bang for the buck ?. Hard to say, the 16g 5 has been on sale at Walmart for $129 for VZW, ATT & Sprint users, with the 16g 4S @ $39.

In my world that's $90 difference and hard to justify, as the 4S is such a great phone and that's a steal.

I'd do the 5 though as it's also a good price as well and it's a better long term investment if you keep the device for more then 2 years.

Both the 4S and the 5 are great investments, that much I'm pretty sure many users can agree on since both devices are a major turning point in iOS history, or at least in the current era of speed and efficiency, as that was the introduction of a dual core processor and Siri. Either ways, you'll still have at least another 3 years of support on either devices. The 4S is basically the successor of the 3GS. Until there's a 100% need for a quad core processor, and the iOS is at the point where it's taking 5-8GB of your device instead of the 1.5GB or so at the moment, the 4S will still be supported, which can well be into iOS 9 if iOS 7 and 8 are brief iOS thresholds like iOS 5 and iOS 6.

Bang for the buck ?. Hard to say, the 16g 5 has been on sale at Walmart for $129 for VZW, ATT & Sprint users, with the 16g 4S @ $39. In my world that's $90 difference and hard to justify, as the 4S is such a great phone and that's a steal. I'd do the 5 though as it's also a good price as well and it's a better long term investment if you keep the device for more then 2 years.

If your not willing 2 pay $90 more dollars 2 get the A6 chip over the A5 & get the most up to date phone. You should think a little bit more into your investments. As for me I don't buy my phone from Walmart most of they're electronics are refurbished. Iphone 5's vary from different carriers & your credit. Someone with good credit $99 is gonna get a cheaper phone (T-mobile) as to someone who has little or bad credit $299. As to someone opening up a new contract & getting the iphone.

Both the 4S and the 5 are great investments, that much I'm pretty sure many users can agree on since both devices are a major turning point in iOS history, or at least in the current era of speed and efficiency, as that was the introduction of a dual core processor and Siri. Either ways, you'll still have at least another 3 years of support on either devices. The 4S is basically the successor of the 3GS. Until there's a 100% need for a quad core processor, and the iOS is at the point where it's taking 5-8GB of your device instead of the 1.5GB or so at the moment, the 4S will still be supported, which can well be into iOS 9 if iOS 7 and 8 are brief iOS thresholds like iOS 5 and iOS 6.

👏 well said

If your not willing 2 pay $90 more dollars 2 get the A6 chip over the A5 & get the most up to date phone. You should think a little bit more into your investments. As for me I don't buy my phone from Walmart most of they're electronics are refurbished. Iphone 5's vary from different carriers & your credit. Someone with good credit $99 is gonna get a cheaper phone (T-mobile) as to someone who has little or bad credit $299. As to someone opening up a new contract & getting the iphone.

The different chips don't make the 4S hugely slower then the 5 so for lot of folks that kind of techno babble isn't a criteria. And are you stating that the 5 and 4S at Walmart are re-furbs ?. They legally would have to state that in the ad's (at least here in NY) and they don't, so that's a scare tactic argument with no basis in reality.

EDIT: But note that I recommended the 5. 4G (If you get it where you live) is a big improvement IF you use the device to search the web frequently. Plus the 5 won't become obsolete as quickly. And at $129 it's also a steal.

Last edited: