What's new

Iphone 4S help

southtexas03

Reaction score
When I am on the phone the phone screen goes away, like it's supposed to. But when I go to hang up and pull the phone away from my head the screen appears, then goes black again? Is it a problem with my Iphone, or a new setting?

Actually it is a feature that has been in at least iOS 4 and was carried over to iOS 5. I can't verify iOS 3 or older because I have only been on the iPhone since April.

If your phone was locked when you answer a call and if the other person hangs up first, your phone will automatically return to the previous locked state. The reason for this is because the iPhone always tries to return to the state it was last in before the call was received.

Now if you dial out, the last state is the dial app and hence you will be returned to it when the conversation is over.

So if you want to hang up first, you have to be quicker than the other person ;)

Gotcha. I just need to get out of the habit then :) THanks!!!

Ok, here is a new one :) I called someone and they didn't answer, their voice mail kicked in and I was finished, removed the phone from my ear and the screen flashes on, then off again....... Had to hit the button to get screen on to hang up?

Ok, the only time I hear of this issue is under one of two conditions.

1) You have a screen protector on that is slightly too thick or optically incorrect.

2) You have a faulty sensor.

Ok, Found issue. It was my Otter Box for my IPhone 4. To fix it I took off the small plastic that covered the sensor and earpiece. Works fine now.

Ah yes, I totally forgot about the full Otterbox case. I will have to remember to include that in my list.

Ok, next problem. The volumes of the ringers change for no apparent reason......

Last edited:
That is probably due to the volume buttons being pressed accidentally. The good news is you can turn that feature off if you want in settings.

Go to Settings, then Sounds and the third item is "Change with Buttons". Turn it to off and then the slider above it can be used to set the volume once and you can forget about it.

Mine is off, but it still just changes..... LOL, Im not crazy, I promise :)

Ok, now you have something I can even remotely explain. Hopefully someone else can chime in.