What's new

IPhone 4S. Fed up!

rvjimzhr

Reaction score
Once again sitting in a library with very good wifi. Updated iPad with iOS 7.0.6 as well as 15 app updates. Did it all in less than 10 minutes. The iphone, as usual, still "estimating time remaining" and showing little progress if any. Three apps updates are "waiting" and others.....who knows? This is normal and I've had it with apple, I really don't know what all the hype is about now that I've owned and had almost 2 years to evaluate this "wonderful" phone. Maybe someone can tell me why my phone updates are so slow and in the meantime I'll be looking at going back to Android.

Update to iOS 7.1 now :) My mom's 4s went really slow after the OS7 update. But now for the 7.1 i think it will be smoother.

I suggest the issue may be the time of day and or location. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the upgrades. The issue will be either a traffic issue at the library and or server slow down due to the millions updating devices. Try a different time of day or night.

The only update option I get is 7.0.6. Also, I've been doing these routinely for nearly 2 years and it's always the same......extremely slow for the 4S (with numerous failures/retries before it finally works, and fast for the iPad. I'll try a different time at the library but not optimistic anymore.

Today I tried again and was pleasantly surprised when my phone began downloading the 7.1 update. I worked around the house and checked the phone peridodically as it showed varying degrees of progress.....5 hours remaining, then 4, then 3 then 5 again. But it seemed to continue over time and got to 1 hour then 44 minutes. Then, after about 4 1/2 hours of this I got the message " Update Failed" !! WTF? Besides losing the time involved, and having the frustration, the whole process seems to have cost be nearly 1GB of my monthly 5GB data plan with Verizon. Still fed up and of the opinion anything Apple is not worth the effort. Any thoughts out there?

Today I tried again and was pleasantly surprised when my phone began downloading the 7.1 update. I worked around the house and checked the phone peridodically as it showed varying degrees of progress.....5 hours remaining, then 4, then 3 then 5 again. But it seemed to continue over time and got to 1 hour then 44 minutes. Then, after about 4 1/2 hours of this I got the message " Update Failed" !! WTF? Besides losing the time involved, and having the frustration, the whole process seems to have cost be nearly 1GB of my monthly 5GB data plan with Verizon. Still fed up and of the opinion anything Apple is not worth the effort. Any thoughts out there?
Did you have enough storage space to update? And OTA updates works much better on wifi. You don't lose the data.

I'm well aware that wifi works better but I'm in an RV with choices of a local library, which has very good wifi, and Verizon Jetpack. After spending up to 2 frustrating hours in the library I just stop the download. My phone capacity is 27.9 GB and there is 21.2 GB available. At least while I tried this at home, I was busy with other things. If I'd waited 4.5 hours in the library only to have the update fail I'd have really been pissed. I repeat......this is ridiculous!!

This is a net work issue

True, you shouldn't get mad at Apple because your local network is troubling and slow. See if there is an Apple Store close enough to you to go to and get a Genius to help with the update (something the competition doesn't do) I believe they won't / don't charge for the help either.

You're right about where to direct my frustration. I just visited an Apple store, the first one I've been near in over a year. Once inside the store I was able to update within about 10 minutes as well as quickly backup which had also been a problem. I'm happy again and just won't worry about updates in the future when I'm on the road.

Thanks for the help here folks!