What's new

Iphone 4s dropped in the toilet..

nelehhx

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm an idiot, and long story short I dropped my phone right into the toilet bowl. It was definitely in there for less than ten seconds. It didn't turn off, or do anything weird - it was working fine.

If I had not have been drinking, I would have taken immediate action, but I was.. and.. I didn't. So the next morning I woke up and it was off, and would only turn on when plugged in. At this point, I didn't realise I dropped it in there, or else I would never have attempted to power it up. But it DID power up, and it seemed to be working fine, excluding the fact that it wouldn't connect to optus, just kept 'searching' for signal.

So since then, I have had it in a bowl of rice, covered in cling wrap then a tea towel, in the cupboard. I have also blowdried it a little.

It still only shows life when connected to a power source. When I try to reset it, whilst connected, it shows the apple sign then just crashes, but that ONLY happens when I reset it. Otherwise, at this point, when it's plugged in it just shows the 'connect to iTunes' sign. When it connects to iTunes, it detects that the phone is in recovery mode, but it can't reset it, just comes up with an error after trying - the phone does spazz out a bit during that, going on and off). As soon as the power source is disconnected, it dies, instantly.

At this point, I have had it in rice for just under two days. Is there any hope, or is it seeming like I may as well just buy a new phone? I do have insurance, but my previous iphone was stolen from my back room at work during a shift about four months ago, and I made a claim for that. So with the excess + the extra cost required when making a second replacement claim, it comes to about 600... in which case I will just buy another phone outright, because I'd rather pay the same without having another claim to my name.

Any help, or even 'drying out' suggestions, would be very much appreciated! Thankyou in advance :)

-Helen

you could go to Apple and pay them for a replacement,it will be cheaper than buying another 4s outright.

I can? How does that work? And how much around does it cost?

im not sure at this moment in time what they charge to replace it but your 4s will be in warranty and although your warranty won't cover water damage its my understanding that they will replace it for a price,it will most likely be a recondition phone but they are just as good as a brand new one,give your nearest Apple store a ring or ring customer services at Apple,let us know how it goes.

Yeah call apple or if you have a service centre close by then bring it in. If its under warranty just tell them its dead and won't boot up and thats all.

Make sure its clean and shows no signs of abuse.

I beg to differ Apple in Australia tests for water damage on iPhones , iPads and iPods... This type of issue is covered by most house hold content insurance policies. Not by warranty replacement. If no insurance you can but try to take it to Apple. Best of luck.

I beg to differ Apple in Australia tests for water damage on iPhones , iPads and iPods... This type of issue is covered by most house hold content insurance policies. Not by warranty replacement. If no insurance you can but try to take it to Apple. Best of luck.
yes the moisture sensors will have turned red,XamDams advice is flawed,no good saying its dead and hoping they won't check it,water damage isn't covered under the the warranty but as i say its my understanding that they will replace it but not for free.

Just before I go trying to get a replacement, is it possibly repairable?

When I try to restore it, it comes up with error '21', is that hardware related or is it possible I just need a new battery and the insides cleaned?

Just before I go trying to get a replacement, is it possibly repairable?

When I try to restore it, it comes up with error '21', is that hardware related or is it possible I just need a new battery and the insides cleaned?
im not sure,the best thing i think is to take it to Apple and explain what has happened,they will advise you on the best course,good luck,let us know the outcome.

Hi. There is a product called phone saver, featured on the recent GadgetShow world tour, it's a bag that has a moisture sensor on the bag and desiccant pouches etc. for about £20. Works about 85% times. Got to be worth a go. Taking the back off the phone before drying is also better. Get a jewellers screwdriver set from a market for a couple of quid.

Apple store charge about £200 for a recon iPhone as new units are £400'ish.