What's new

iPhone 4S contact list phone number problem

RedFive

Reaction score
Does anyone have this problem? What happened to me is I upgraded to the 4S today, and now all the phone numbers in my contact list are just long numbers with no format.

In otherwords, the phone numbers all look like 6035551212 instead of (603)555-1212. Ignoring the fact that it is far less aesthetically appealling, when I dial using the new format the iPhone thinks I am attempting an international call.

I turned off international assist and solved that problem so at least now I can dial the numbers. But I really would like to be able to see a formatted phone number instead of just a long string of 10 digits.

I have this problem too and it's already driving me nuts. Will be interested to find out the resolution

Having the exact same problem! I may run to an apple store to see if they can tell me whats going on...

Anyone else?

Adding +1 to the beginning of the phone number solves the problem, but what a pain to have to edit every contact! Any easier solution is welcomed.

Yes! Thank you do much for that solution.

Hi, my wifes Verizon iPhone 4s is having a similar problem and while the above fixes a symptom I don't think it addresses the cause.

I have a iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and obviously her 4s also has iOS 5. When you go to her Settings > Phone the number is displayed incorrectly (as a string of 9 digits, 9165554591) on my phone it is displayed as +1 (916) 555-4591. For whatever reason the phone is not properly identifying the format for a phone number.

She is also having problems with her caller id and text messages not indicating the proper person in her contact list. Some of this goes away by turning off International Assist in the Phone settings, but this should really be on, and I have it always on for my phone as she did with her previous 3GS.

Just thought I'd provide people looking into this more info. I plan to leave a message on the apple support boards.

Last edited:
I just moved to Verizon from AT&T, when I restored by contacts from my 3gs to the 4s I experienced the same thing. I found on the net to dial *228 and proceed with option 1 to activate your phone again. It takes about 30 seconds on the phone and about 2 minutes for the contacts to update. After I did that, the (000)000-0000 format were in my contacts. Also, when I went to add a contact, it defaulted the united states instead of the netherlands after the reactivation.

Matt

I see Bauerinnc found this too but I'll go ahead and post the quote I found encase it helps others:

Here's another fix that I found in a different thread that worked great for me and is much simpler:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/16380402#16380402

The summary:

Here is the summary of the steps I took to correct the issue:
1) Open the Phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.
2) When the system answer press 1 for "Program or activate your phone"
3) Wait for the call to disconnect. You should get a prompt stating something like, "Settings updated."
4) Open the Task Manager and kill the Phone, Message, and Contacts Applications
5) Wait a few minutes (I waited 3 just to be extra safe)
6) Open the Message App to verify the fix.

If you are still broken, kill the Message App again, then reboot your phone.

Good luck!

Ernie

I just moved to Verizon from AT&T, when I restored by contacts from my 3gs to the 4s I experienced the same thing. I found on the net to dial *228 and proceed with option 1 to activate your phone again. It takes about 30 seconds on the phone and about 2 minutes for the contacts to update. After I did that, the (000)000-0000 format were in my contacts. Also, when I went to add a contact, it defaulted the united states instead of the netherlands after the reactivation.

Matt

This works, I was going crazy trying to figure this out last night. !! I was on the phone with apple for over an hour and while the were helpfull and kind they were not able to figure it out. Who knew it was so simple. So I don't have to drive to the apple store!!
Thanks Matt!

I did the *228, pressed 1 for Program or activate, when the call completed, I powered off the phone, re-started and the format was correct

hi everyone!
I also have a similiar problem... but I don't have a verizon phone, and I'm not even in america!
however, the phone numbers are being formatted like (1234) 12 34 56 which is NOT how they're supposed to be. They're supposed to be the standard US formatting (123) 456-7890.
If there are any work arounds or fixes for this, please let me know...
thanks.

I think my problem might be my carrier settings - they got updated and now the numbers are formatted incorrectly. Does anyone know how to restore older carrier settings? Are the old ones stored on the computer? I'm using a PC with windows 7.
thanks.

Last edited: