What's new

iphone 4S capacity showing 17gb used for "other" is there a way to check?

yoneytan

Reaction score
when connecting my phone to iTunes it shows on the bottom audio=.09gb photos=.93gb apps=.43 other=17gb and free=9.8gb

can anyone tell me what "other" refers to or how I can check to see where 17gb are being used? thanks in advance.

What else other then the ones listed do you have installed? anything via 3rd party apps or movies or ibooks?

my phone is jailbroken and i have some apps but nothing that should take that much space. I restored to factory and jail broke again and the "other" space went down to .73gb, I then restored from back up and now again the "other" is showing about 17gb. what can it be in my backup thats taking up that much space and how can i fix this? thanks

Well the jailbreak apps dont actually take up ANY space because they are installed on the partition where ios is installed so that is not it..

well obviously you have something installed or added to your device.. maybe some videos or you added some files to some where.. I dont know what you have on there so its not easy to know what is causing it.. other is basically anything that is not listed there so what else do you have installed?

I can't think of anything on the phone that would use that much space but since the huge amount of space used in "other" showed up after restoring up from a previous backup its obviously from something in the backup, i just can't think of anything using that much space. Maybe ill just restore and set up as new phone and not restore from backup. wish i didn't have to though.

i think there might be a bug here. not sure if it's a post jailbreak bug on a 5.0.1 bug

so i restored to a backup i created today and everything seems fine, only .83gb is used by "other". i guess its something within my previous backup, still no clue what it might be but definetly something in the previous backup, oh well, thanks again for your help.

so i restored to a backup i created today and everything seems fine, only .83gb is used by "other". i guess its something within my previous backup, still no clue what it might be but definetly something in the previous backup, oh well, thanks again for your help.
you were streaming/downloading videos/movies on the jailbreak iPhone before using cydia apps? or safari? if yes, some times those downloaded videos/movies are some times duplicating in some sort of folder in the iPhone, i can't recall the address to locate that folder now since i'm not using a jailbreak iPhone anymore. But back to that time, BigU movies and safari were the one feeding up the other partition quicker than usual files.
Also there use to be a way to use iFile or another file browser (can't remember exactly) which i've used to locate what were the largest (100MB +) files in my phone and what was those largest files location. That was how i came to locate several movies in a kind of weird location in the iPhone. I could recalled that i streamed those movies via safari and BigU. Seems like sometimes when streaming online movies, that movies can get downloaded and be save somewhere in the system files, was it a bug? was it a feature? i couldn't figure it out.
But now good to know that you've cleared up your other space.

I've watched some shows on my phone but this was at least a month before i jailbroke it. You could be right but i'm not gonna waste my time figuring it out since i was able to simply restore to todays backup and got my space back. thanks again to you all for helping.