What's new

iPhone 4S batery life after 5.1 update

joel406

Reaction score
My iPhone is still less then 1 month old and shipped(from at&t) to me with iOS 5.0.1. I never really noticed a battey issue when running on 5.0.1.

BUT now that I'm running 5.1 I can't kill my battery. I use email, surf the web, youtube, angry birds, twitter, poker not to mention the phone calls, and my battery is at 30%. The last time I charged it was 03/15/12.

I would say that battery life with 5.1 is fricking awesome.

Seriously? screenshot pls..ive been having worse life although i did go just now through my settings and find out the 5.1 turned some things on that i had off and reset so hopefully it'll get better.

There are several items in the Location Services windows (System Settings) that were added at iOS5 that we really do not need at all that should just be turned off for 99% of iPhone users. They are battery killers and just 'techy' things that have no real daily value. I'll write a list when I get home. On the run now.

Seriously!! However I am one of those guys that has incredibly good luck with pretty much any device I buy. My laptop is almost 5 years old and has the original battery and it last over 4 hours. I also have 2 iPhone 3's. Batteries last for days and they never drop a call. Both unlocked and jailbroken on T-Mobile. Battery still holding at 30% left. Monday will be 4 days without charging.

good god lol.. thats crazy. yeah i was looking at the sys. services like whered all this noise come from??!

oh and joel; have you been surfin web most of that time? i ask because i find thats probably the biggest killer to my phone..

I use the web here and there. No more then a few minutes at a time. Small screen I just get what I need and go. I use Siri a bit. GPS, Twitter, Poker and a lot of calls.

Just spent bout 8 min on twitter and went down to 29%.

Just spent bout 8 min on twitter and went down to 29%.
You have a "very special" phone, Joel. One of a kind! I wonder if the TMobile sim is in this equation.
Do you have Push notifications for email turned off too?

Wow no kidding. I think i can use 10 minutes of web and be down proably 2-5%. Im suprised 5.1 update turned on my iCloud push back on, because i know for a fact that i turned it off on 5.0

Yes push notifications are off pretty much in general. And it's on at&t not T-mobile. My 3g's are on T-mobile. I have a 3GS and a 4S on at&t.

THe 4S is the topic of this post.
Again, you have a very "special" phone! You're barely using it and that's in this equation as well. The real one-to-one test would be for you to use your 3GS and ur 4S on AT&T on iOS 5.1 in the exact same manner for an entire day and with all settings equal. That would tell the story a little clearer to us and eliminate your usage patterns as a variable in the equation.

Last edited:
The 4S is mine. The 3GS is my oldest sons. He uses it for school. My wife and youngest son use the 3G's. I gotta hand it to those 3G's I've had them for years and they are holding up great. I hope my 4S does half as good as they have. The 3GS has no problems with battery as ar as I can tell. I got it 2 weeks before I got the 4S. But the 4S and 3GS are at&t. while the 3G's are T-Mobile.

The 4S is mine. The 3GS is my oldest sons. He uses it for school. My wife and youngest son use the 3G's. I gotta hand it to those 3G's I've had them for years and they are holding up great. I hope my 4S does half as good as they have. The 3GS has no problems with battery as ar as I can tell. I got it 2 weeks before I got the 4S. But the 4S and 3GS are at&t. while the 3G's are T-Mobile.
I can pretty much guarantee you that your 4S wouldn't do anywhere near as well battery wise as your 3GS all things being equal. And that's what we're all complaining about. Its just that the battery life on the 4S is just not as good as previous phones. And for most of us, under normal usage, doesn't get anywhere near the battery specs listed in their manuals.

Just got phone # and directions from Siri. Placed a call through Siri. Battery didn't even flinch.