What's new

iphone 4 won't restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastraptor

Reaction score
my iphone 4 crashed i tried to restore it and when i put it in recovery mode it comes up with error code 1603 and when i try to restore it in dfu mode i get error code 1604 this phone is NOT jailbroke my computer is up to date and iphone is up to date i have 13 days left on my software warranty and no tech support coverage so need help quick

Not sure if same issue, but I couldn't restore mine, few days ago and found out it was my firewall that was blocking the process. Not sure if why it's not working for you, but something to consider..

You have left out a great deal of information.
1) Is it a CDMA or GSM phone?
2) Restore under Windows or OSX?
3) USB port is built in or thru an expansion card?

After you answer those, I can probably give you sound advice.

i dont know what cdma or gsm mean restore on osx on a mac mini i tried different usb ports and a different cord

In the US:
CDMA = Verizon
GSM = AT&T

Since I don't know your location, I can't assume which version of the phone you are using.

Excellent. Remove the SIM, put the phone in DFU and restore.

not excellent the sim card is out and in dfu mode it gives me error code 1604 and in recovery mode it gives me error code 1603 won't restore in either mode it gets to the preparing iphone stage and gives me the error code

well apple said to try and restore it on another computer and if it doesn't work to buy a new one so tried that and it didn't work so i have an iphone 4 paper weight unless anyone knows of anything else and my hardware warranty expired 14 days ago so im screwed

What the heck did you do to it prior to the failure? Because removing the SIM and going to DFU mode "IS" the only solution to your problem.

I kinda have the same issue, everytime i try and restore i get a 1013 error :S

I kinda have the same issue, everytime i try and restore i get a 1013 error :S

error 1013 while restoring/upgrading iOS via itune fix
1. Go to C drive and look for Windows folder, then System32 followed by drivers and then finally etc folder

C:\Windows\System32\drivers \etc

2. In the etc folder you can see hosts file.

3. Open the hosts file using notepad and remove the following lines that says Ags.apple.com

Reboot your computer and try restore/upgrade again.

Quit out of iTunes
Go to the hosts file. For Mac OS X this is located at: /etc/hosts or /private/etc/hosts and in Windows it is located at: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Open the hosts file with Administrative privileges so that changes can be made and saved (eg: sudo nano /etc/hosts)
Look for a line that resembles something like this:
Put a # in front of that to comment it out, making it now look like this:
Save the hosts file
Reboot and restart iTunes

This thread is over a year old closing in on two. The problem is most likely solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.