What's new

iPhone 4 v/s iPhone 5

aegisisc

Reaction score
What is different between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 ?

anyone tell me. so i think buy iPhone 5........

thanks

Pretty much nothing's different except a different SoC with only a small improvement. it's now last year's QCM S4 @ 1GHz and it's been stretched. Not worth of a upgrade. For 600-800 bucks, you can get an S3 which has double CPU & GPU power (quad core and OC'd mali 400mp) and double the features (MicroSD, removable battery, NFC to name a few. Not even mentioning the factory unlocked bootloader, so if you root it's quite hard to void the warranty of you flash the right kernel).

TLDR : iPhone 5 is a 4S with an OC'd CPU With sub-HD resolution.

lol @ "completely redesigned design"

The only significant, in my opinion, difference is that iPhone5 has build in hardware to support 4G LTE. All previous iPhone's could NOT take advantage of 4G; did not have hardware for it.

The only significant, in my opinion, difference is that iPhone5 has build in hardware to support 4G LTE. All previous iPhone's could NOT take advantage of 4G; did not have hardware for it.

when you actually hold the iphone in your hands and look at the display and so many other factors of the iphone you can see that so much has changed and it is worth it imo

Yes, you are correct. It is the same difference between 32in and 42in tv screens, looks bigger and better. I was referring to real performance differences and not cosmetic/feel/look aspect.

The main difference between the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5 is the screen, the iPhone 4S feature a 3.5 inch Retina display with a resolution of 960 x 640 pixels at 326ppi. The new iPhone 5 features a 4 inch Retina display with a resolution of 1,136 x 640 pixels at 326ppi, and it features a wide screen 16:9 aspect ratio, on top of that WiFi has also be upgraded on the iPhone 5.

TLDR : iPhone 5 is a 4S with an OC'd CPU With sub-HD resolution.

lol @ "completely redesigned design"

You really should check up your 'facts', they really don't match reality.
The iphone 5 runs an a6 CPU which is a custom designed Cortex-15 running at 1GHz, a chip designed for server processor loads custom redesigned for power savings. No wonder that at that speed it posts benchmarks that rival even 4 core smartphone processors that run at more than 1.5 times the clock speed.

Also the display has 40% more color saturation available to it than the 4s, it's just much much more impressive than a small increase in size would lead you to believe. This translates directly to having the most accurate color of any phone out there, and better visibility in daylight.

HD resolution on a small screen is just a silly notion since the difference in a screen with more resolution than the iPhone at a similar size just cannot be seen by the eye. It's a speaking point that has no real world value but with a real world cost in performance.

You really should check up your 'facts', they really don't match reality.
The iphone 5 runs an a6 CPU which is a custom designed Cortex-15 running at 1GHz, a chip designed for server processor loads custom redesigned for power savings. No wonder that at that speed it posts benchmarks that rival even 4 core smartphone processors that run at more than 1.5 times the clock speed.

Also the display has 40% more color saturation available to it than the 4s, it's just much much more impressive than a small increase in size would lead you to believe. This translates directly to having the most accurate color of any phone out there, and better visibility in daylight.

HD resolution on a small screen is just a silly notion since the difference in a screen with more resolution than the iPhone at a similar size just cannot be seen by the eye. It's a speaking point that has no real world value but with a real world cost in performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6292/iphone-5-a6-not-a15-custom-core

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136291-iphone-5-benchmarks-slower-than-the-galaxy-s3-faster-than-the-nexus-7

A
s you can see, I have my facts straight, unlike you. It's a more A9 SoC because Samsung wouldn't dare to put a A15 in an Apple product. Plus, Exynos 5250 is the only true A15 SoC.

It's still based in the QCM S4, which is last year's tech. You have to know that the S4 has been long surpassed by the S4 Pro, the Exynos 4412, 5250, 5450.

HD resolution does matter. If you compare a qHD phone vs a HD phone, you'll see the difference.

Last edited:
I'm grabbing the 5. My iPhone 4 runs exactly as the day I got it lol and I honestly have an impeccable phone!
But can't resist.... Ill hand this to my husband or put it on my Ihome for music maybe sell it but I know my husband will take it:) w the mophie case!!
iPhone 5 everyone allready mentioned the specs... I can't wait!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would I want an s3?
Honestly if iPhone wasn't around I'd grab the HTC model

AnandTech - The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Insteads you can see, I have my facts straight, unlike you. It's a more A9 SoC because Samsung wouldn't dare to put a A15 in an Apple product. Plus, Exynos 5250 is the only true A15 SoC.

It's still based in the QCM S4, which is last year's tech. You have to know that the S4 has been long surpassed by the S4 Pro, the Exynos 4412, 5250, 5450.

HD resolution does matter. If you compare a qHD phone vs a HD phone, you'll see the difference.

Based on what you say here - I'd say it's more of a reading comprehension issue on your part. Anandtech clearly states that it's a custom core. While it's not an A15 I clearly said it's a custom design based on A15. Samsung really has no say in what apple puts in the design, Apple clearly has rights to the A15 use, and samsung is just a fab - which they can take or leave. They punch the chips out, but don't do any of the design. What you stated is what Anand was expecting before getting confirmation that he was wrong previously.

In fact they state
I should probably give Apple's CPU team more credit in the future.
The bad news is I have no details on the design of Apple's custom core. Despite Apple's willingness to spend on die area, I believe an A15/Krait class CPU core is a likely target. Slightly wider front end, more execution resources, more flexible OoO execution engine, deeper buffers, bigger windows, etc... Support for VFPv4 guarantees a bigger core size than the Cortex A9

Indeed the performance measures show that you have a dual core CPU at 1GHz, running head to head with the SIII which has 4 cores running at 1.4 GHz. To say that's not an advancement is a severe case of blinders at best, or willful misrepresentation at worst.

Last edited:
I'm grabbing the 5. My iPhone 4 runs exactly as the day I got it lol and I honestly have an impeccable phone!
But can't resist.... Ill hand this to my husband or put it on my Ihome for music maybe sell it but I know my husband will take it:) w the mophie case!!
iPhone 5 everyone allready mentioned the specs... I can't wait!! :)

I'm with you, ...gurlz. My iPhone 4 is as perfect now as the day I got it, except for the Home Button lag sometimes. It does everything I need, except a few apps that require an iOS upgrade, but those apps are quite unnecessary. Big deal. Nevertheless, I'll get the iP5 later this year when my 2-year contract expires. And I hope they fix the "mapping problem" before then!

Why would I want an s3?
Honestly if iPhone wasn't around I'd grab the HTC model

The s3 is a bad ass phone. I'll have both the s3 and ip5 here by tomorrow hopefully and if nobody has posted it I can make a comparable vid. I'm not a fan boy towards either side, I have android and apple products so I think I could make a decent "fair" vid without bias.

Tapatalk'd / Galaxy SIII / Beans Rom

InkedAdrenaline said:
The s3 is a bad ass phone. I'll have both the s3 and ip5 here by tomorrow hopefully and if nobody has posted it I can make a comparable vid. I'm not a fan boy towards either side, I have android and apple products so I think I could make a decent "fair" vid without bias.

Tapatalk'd / Galaxy SIII / Beans Rom

So you will have both, i too have an S3 love it. I am also receiving iPhone 5 next week. I use Verizon service. Was hoping to be able to swap back and forth on same line. The dilemma is iphone 5 having the Nano sim and S 3 having the micro sim card. My understanding is I will be able to then get a nano to micro adapter. Not sure if anybody has done this yet and whether it is a good fit and will actually work. On Verizon service I can currently take my micro out of my S 3 and use it in my new iPad, so hopefully I will be able to do the same with the Nano? I see they sell the adapters on ebay now. Anybody out there help me in this department?