What's new

[iPhone 4] Stuck on "Waiting for reboot"

GPS08

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Here's my issue: I keep getting stuck on the same step over and over again where Redsn0w says "waiting for reboot" and it freezes there. Let me break it down:

1st I'll list the softwares I'm Using:

[PC]
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition
Redsn0w win 0.9.15b3 (as far as I know, this is the latest version)
iPhone3,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw (A)
WinSCP or Putty

[iPhone]
iPhone 4
iOS 6.0.1

Now I'll explain step by step what I've done:

-open redsn0w in admin mode and tried a few times with win xp compatibility and also without
-click on extras -> select ipsw and select the firmware I downloaded (A)
-hook up iPhone to the computer and turn it off, then the "next" button on redsn0w becomes clickable.
-follow the instructions to put the phone in DFU mode

at this point redsn0w starts processing stuff, and I see my phone running some sort of DOS-like commands. After that, the phone flickers and a image of a running pineapple-man shows up with a progress bar under saying something like processing bundles or whatever it is. After that's done with, the phone reboots and lock screen shows up. On redsn0w it tells me I should click back and select "tethered boot". So I,

-click back, goto extras and click on "tethered boot" after selecting the same ipsw as before
-follow the instructions to put the phone on DFU mode again

now, redsn0w pops a progress window where it shows me what's it doing, and the bar advances until it's only a few pixels to complete. But it stays there forever with "waiting for reboot" written on the progress info. The phone's screen is black and I can't even see light coming from it, it's like it's turned off.

My iPhone now cannot start Safari, Mail services etc, and I've read that's because a tethered boot is required but everytime I attempt to do so, it freezes on "waiting for reboot"!!

I need help please!

Cheers,
GPS

Edit - When it freezes on "waiting for reboot" I also tried:
-Disconnect and reconnect the USB on the same port
-Try another USB port/s
-Manually reboot the phone by pressing home button and power button for 30secs

None of the above worked, I've even tried going ahead and use WinSCP or putty to try and connect it to the phone using the SAME WiFi connection on both PC and iPhone, but it says that it cannot make a connection error.

Last edited:
Make sure that the firmware you're using for redsn0w to use for the rest of the session, is the 6.0 ipsw. Something To do with redsn0w's exploit only working with 6.0 or a bypass.

Other than that, I'd just do a clean reformat and try 6.0.1 jb again

Correct. 6.0.1 is only a hotfix and is not a full "upgrade"

Cheers for the reply guys!

I don't know what I did, but I retried it out of boredom and frustration it didn't seem to work, and guess what? It was successful!

Only one thing I do not understand - After the tethered boot, I was told to get openSSH and run a command line in winscp/putty. Which I do, but it gives a error code 127... But when I browse my iPhone, there's the Cydia icon ready for me to play around and install apps and themes. Does this mean it's already installed and I do not need to run the command line?

Thanks,
GPS

Gotcha! Well, it seems I have my iPhone properly jailbroken. But I'm getting frustrated at all the themes and apps that are not compatible with iOS 6... I'm seriously thinking about going back to 5.1.1

Any ideas how to get there? Is is as simple as downloading the 5.1.1 ipsw, or does my iPhone's iOS has to be downgraded from 6.0.1 to 5.1.1?

Cheers!

Assuming you were on iOS 5.1.1, you'll need to retrieve the blobs for iOS 5.1.1 using TinyUmbrella or whichever application you want to use. Retrieve the blobs, then stitch them using RedSn0w or whatever works for you to create a custom IPSW. Run RedSn0w or any application that allows you to put your iPhone into Pwned DFU mod as administrator, put your iPhone into DFU mode, then have it flashed into Pwned DFU mode using Redsn0w or whichever app. Run TSS Server on TinyUmbrella. Open up iTunes with the iPhone in Pwned DFU mode, Shift+Click Restore and point it to the custom IPSW that was made. After going through the process and successfully restoring, it should result in an error. Just kick it out of recovery mode using TinyUmbrella or RedSn0w or whatever you use.

Hi willerz2,

Thanks for the info, but I'm very new to all this jailbreaking, so 2/3's of what you typed is out of my reach of understanding. Could you take me down, step by step, or point me to a tutorial and I can just help myself.

Thanks!

Go into redsn0w then extras then find the restore feature all you need is your blobs for 5.1.1 and the Ipsw for 5.1.1 then it will do the rest of downgrading for you 😉