What's new

iPhone 4 or 5/Unlimited Data Plan situation.

Big_Dev

Reaction score
Well considering that Verizon is doing away with their unlimited data package I'm kind of in a tough spot. Do I purchase a White iPhone 4 now with a 2yr contract with unlimited data considering the iPhone 5 will be better and is coming out soon? OR Do I wait for a couple months and buy the iPhone 5 which will only be eligible for the tiered data plans which include only 2gb for the same price of 30$?!?

With Verizon not continuing their unlimited package I'm in a very difficult spot. Do you think I would still be able to sell my white iphone 4 for about 300 to 350 when the iphone 5 comes out?

Anyone know if the Apple bumper will fit on the white iphone 4 with a screen shield. Wanting to put a Zagg Invis. Shield on the front and back and then hit it with a Lime Green or Orange bumper, it will be looking cleannnn.

Thanks for all the help and advice....

Get the iPhone 4 with unlimited data. Most of the info about the iPhone 5 is that it is not going to be 4G LTE. It will have a faster processor and better camera. Get the iPhone 6 instead at a later date. That will for sure be 4G LTE

I talked to Verizon yesterday and aslong as you were a smart phone user before July 3rd even if u upgrade your account you'll still have unlimited data it just won't be offered to new members or members with reg phone usage

I talked to Verizon yesterday and aslong as you were a smart phone user before July 3rd even if u upgrade your account you'll still have unlimited data it just won't be offered to new members or members with reg phone usage

I was told the same yesterday.

yea and thats the problem i've never been on a contract before :p so this would be my first time....so theres the issue

I have a Verizon Air Card. Off contract. Have a $50 credit for a up-grade.

When I log into MyVerizon, it shows a $50 discount on a Iphone and the unlimited is still available.

Do I need to do something by July 3 to get into the unlimited data plan?

Thanks Jim

Go get the iPhone n the unlimited data package n you'll be set

I thought July 7th was when they were going to tiered data. So wouldn't July 6th be the last day you can get unlimited data.

yea and thats the problem i've never been on a contract before :p so this would be my first time....so theres the issue

I was in the same situation as you, first time data contract. I chose to get the iPhone 4 a few weeks ago with the unlimited plan and now will be in good shape for the 6 when it comes out. I don't have a problem skipping the 5 altogether now that I've used the 4. I did debate about it for a while, but I think I made the right choice!

I'm not confident that Verizon (with whom I'm now an iPhone 4, and recently initiated contract holder) won't change the rules on this "unlimited data" plan down the road some.

I envision that an upgrade to a new phone will constitute a new contract, and hence, a new set of rules about data quantities and pricing. I could be completely wrong about that, and it's only a suspicion... but the wording of their statement about providing the most customers with the best experience - and what they intend to do with the small number of "excessive data" consumers, suggests that we're all in for some kind of control measures, eventually.

"Things will either change, or stay the same."

Brian

Of course it will work like that. It's the way it works now. Stay with your present phone and terms after the contract is up and continue month to month. Change phones or plan and you're locked into new terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so. We are with T Mobile. We got in on 1000 minutes for $39.00. We have had this plan for 5 years. 2 1/2 years ago we were eligible for a upgrade phone, We went in, got a new phone for free, and have the same phone plan. As long as you do not change the plan, you are grandfathered in.

We considered getting a second phone and sharing the minutes. No Way. New Plan required. So we got a pay as your go phone. $19.95. Took the sim card, put it in the old phone, now I have a phone, (5 years old) that in a year I use 500 minutes. Still have the $39.00 plan.

However, wife has the I Phone bug, so guess who is getting a new phone. My old phone will get moved to her old phone. So, she gets a I Phone and I get her old phone. The $39.00 will be gone........................But so will my $59.95 Verizon air card bill.

Jim

Verizon is doing the same data pkg as ATT starting in July. The pkg's are $30,$60 and $80, so you are in better shape to get it now and by time the iphone 5s or 6 comes out you will be eligable for the early upgrade.