What's new

iPhone 4 keyboard clicks

marienschatten

Reaction score
OS 4.01

I get no more keyboard clicks.
I tried all installation possibilities, no chance.
New start without any change.
Reset is no good idea because of jailbreak.

Don't know if it's connected but I've had intermittent issues with keyboard clicks since jailbreaking iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1

I always had keyboard sound switched off. After JB it had switched itself on. Seemingly randomly, re-springing will result in keyboard clicks being on or off without having changed settings

Strange

This may be too obvious,but do you have the hardware ring/vibrate button set to vibrate??If so the keyboard clicks will not work.

This may be too obvious,but do you have the hardware ring/vibrate button set to vibrate??If so the keyboard clicks will not work.

Not too obvious at all - that's usually the kind of thing that catches even the most experienced geek out with technology. Unfortunately double checking this when I've run into the problem doesn't seem to help things. Will do a bit more testing and see if I can spot some kind of pattern/logic to what's going on. But thanks :)

Had the exact same problem myself. No keyboard clicks, although all settings were ok.
What I did to fix it (it seems, since they now click again) was to disable 'keyboard clicks' in Settings > Sounds. Then exit out, then I turned off my iPhone, then turned it back on. Then re-enabled 'keyboard clicks', and then (miraculously) it fixed it :)

Who knows, it may fix others who have the same issue, without and 'full reset' of their entire iPhone's settings. If so please reply and let me know. Mind you, not sure how the sound decided to go in the first place! Anyway it fixed it so who cares :)

I do not know why but my wife has got 3Gs and I have got Iphone 4 and there is a big difference between them in terms of keyboard clicks. 3Gs rocks but Iphone 4 sucks. I do not know but once I click volume buttons to initiate "BiteSMS" it sounds rather loud but apart from it, keyboard clicks are very low.

Iphone 4 is on 4.2.1 @JB
Iphone 3Gs is on 4.1 @JB

Hi eozen81,

BiteSMS is an application for messaging.
This thread was about IPhone settings issue itself
IE: no keyboard click sound in 'any' application, even in the browser (IE: Safari)

In saying that, I notice that BiteSMS has just updated to version 5.2 (strangely today!)
Their forum also states that a 'sound' conflict is presently happening with users who have PopupBlocker installed.

Confirm you have the latest version of this App.
And PopupBlocker is removed (ideally) if you want to continue with your purchased (?) BiteSMS (non purchased comes with ads)

Hope that helps :)

Hi Kim,

You got me wrong. I meant that i am complaining about the same low key clicks issue at all. Every apps that creates key click is same low compared to my wife's 3Gs. But i have two friends who have iphone 4 like me but no differrence, their devices have the same low key click sound as well.

About BiteSMS you can make sure that i am running always last version ;) but why i did mention that here because it is the only apps that gives a quite high key click sound at a very spesific and short time. When you click one of phone's volume buttons ( i mean volume up or down) you see on the screen Bitesms is saying like ; "Tap here for message" and at that point once i click one time to that screen tada..... I hear really quite high key click sound but that is all. No other apps or another feature is giving high click.

If you are using bitesms, try what i have told above because it is valid for every bitesms users. i have tested it for my other iphone 4 user friends as well and they all got very surprised once they hear that high clik sound at that time :)

As a result, with bitesms we know that iphone 4's speakers are fine and it has got the capability of giving high click sound as well but something is limiting them for low key click sound and that is really annoying.

Last edited:
Thanks for the further reply and info.
BiteSMS uses it's Own sounds and not those of the iPhone 'keyboard clicks'
Since you have confirmed other iPhone 4 sounds are the same, then I'm thinking that quieter click is normal, and may be slightly different to other versions of iPhones.

At least you actually have the click sound, but at least now I feel it's more relevant to this thread ;) and not to do with any particular app.

Unless others would like to reply with further info, it 'sounds' to be normal.