What's new

iPhone 4 from USA, jailbroken and unlocked, still refuses to work with Finnish SIM

RovaniemiApple

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.

Some information about the phone first.

It is an iPhone 4. 32GB. Purchased in North Dakota. Posted to Finland.
Firmware: 4.3.3 (8J2)
Model: MC610LL
Modem Firmware: 04.10.01

I used the software called Sn0wbreeze Version 2.7.1 to jailbreak the phone successfully. Then using Cydia and the method of adding repo666 ultrasn0was a source I have installed ultrasn0w version 1.2.3. This software as far as I can see has been successfully installed.

I have restarted the phone and checked that it is still recognised under iTunes on my 64bit Windows 7 system and it is. Howver even after cutting down my pay as you go Saunalahti SIM correctly I still cannot get the phone to accept a signal from it! It shows the "No Service" phrase in the upper most left corner, where I'm led to believe the normal signal strength indicator is.

Using the WiFi I've been able to sign into my iTunes account on my phone and as far as things that can work via WiFi the phone is fantastic, but it's all a little academic if I cannot get the SIM card to register.

Yes it has been said that I should approach either Sonera or Elisa and enquire as to the possibilities of buying just a microSIM deal, but I've had this pay as you go SIM for several years now and the ability to buy weekly or monthly unlimited high speed internet bundles is one of the primary reasons why I do not want to give it up.

I fully appreciate that my geographic location may not be familiar to all of you but I'm hoping that the nature of this problem is one that is not unknown and someone can point out what I've done wrong or failed to do.

I thank you all most deeply for any and all suggestions and look forward to a long and happy iPhone experience!

your just doing harm to your iphone since your on the wrong baseband that ultrasn0w does not work for... you should check make sure you have the right firmware/baseband because the only one that can be unlocked is 01.59

download a forecast app from here iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

and it can tell you if you can jb or unlock the phone, there is a jb for every firmware but with that baseband you cant use other sims.. maybe your carrier might be willing to unlock it for you?

Right! Indeed you are most correct! I've downloaded the software and tested the iPhone and you are right! OK! Well I'm going to investigate this more and see what my options are. And yes there is a good chance that the local MNO's can indeed sort this out for me!

I will keep you posted. :)

Your firmware is 4.3. You cannot unlock it by software... Just saying.

no unless you have baseband 01.59 that you can upgrade to 4.3.3 and preserve it.